tight vnc question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computergeekchick, Jan 23, 2005.

1. computergeekchick

computergeekchick Private E-2

I have been struggling for a week to set up tight vnc. I installed it on my home LAN and am able to access the other pcs. I installed it at my sisters and am able to connect within her LAN but I can't seem to connect to her. She has a linksys router and I have a dlink 604. I was able to change the port numbers on hers but not mine. I went to gotomyvnc and did a check on her lan and was able to establish contact but unable to do so with mine unless i disconnected from my router. all pcs on my lan are w2k pro. on her end is one w2k pro and one xp home. Everytime I try to make contact with her, I get the error message "failed to get server address. did u type the host name correctly?" I have tried her pcs name and hostname:0 and hostname::5900.

This is not my strong point (obviously) and I can't seem to find any info on what I am doing wrong.

Also, how secure is this versus somethingk like NetOp by Crosstec Corp

Thanks a million in advance.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Security:http://www.tightvnc.com/faq.html#howsecure

You need to portforward port 5800 (for http connections) and 5900 on your router to the machine that is the host.

If using browser to connect: Do NOT connect like this HTTP://x.x.x.x:5900 that will NOT work. http://x.x.x.x:5800 WILL work
    Note x.x.x.x is your ipaddress

If you're using the gui viewer then just type the ip address in the box and hit connect.
    But this ALL depends on your port forwarding 5900 to the host PC.

Why not just use Remote Desktop?

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Unless you're demonstrating somthing on the other PC, where you need to have your actions shown on screen at the other end, I'd definatley go with RD. For sure.

4. computergeekchick

Does w2k pro have remote desktop?

Also, who made me a private E-2???? I haven't been a private since boot camp at Paris Island and that was quite a few years ago. I am Sarge!!!

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the more posts you make, the higher the rank :)

Wink2 Pro does not have Remote Desktop. Win2k Server has it though. Windows XP natively supports it. You CAN , however, use the RD Client on Win2k to connect to a windows based computer using Remote Desktop.

6. computergeekchick

also, when i went to the dlink page to adjust my ports, I couldn't find where I could adjust it to anything but a few predetermined numbers. Am I missing something and need to look better or am I looking in the wrong place. I am not using a web browser to connect. I would like the ability to have it show on their screen as I teach and this would allow me to stay at the home office in my bunny slippers and not have to shovel a foot of snow to go teach.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I hear that!
    what model Dlink are you using and have you updated to the latest firmware?

8. computergeekchick

dlink 604 and no I have not updated to the latest firmware.

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

10. computergeekchick

Thanks so much for the advise Kodo. I will post back tonight with my failure or success. For now, I must go shovel that #$%! snow...

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

12. computergeekchick

actually...I have one and its not working right either...story of my life!

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

14. computergeekchick

is there anything that u dont have a web link for?

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Yes, but they are far and few between ;)

16. redskull

redskull Private E-2

Just curious CGC, what system are you running? and where are you that you got all the snow? I'm in Michigan and we got about a foot yesterday.

17. computergeekchick

Toledo, Ohio.
    ASUS P4PE
    P4 2.56 Mhz
    1 512 Mb RAM
    2 60Gb HD
    Dual Monitors

18. computergeekchick

Just a couple of quick questions. On the router settings, am I typing the private IP addresses or the routers? Secondly, I would need to portforward both routers correct? I know this is probably very elementary for most on these boards but I was the woman in the back of the networking class with that "deer in headlights" look most of the time.

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You need to type the LAN ip address of the router. Should be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1

I'm not really sure why you say to port forward BOTH routers.. You should only have one router which is your D-Link. You need to configure the routers port forwarding options for both PORTS 5800 and 5900 to the host PC's IP address.

20. computergeekchick

Oh Kodo you're there! Grasshopper is not doing so swift! My sister is behind a router as well. Wouldn't I need to adjust her settings as well as anyone else that I am working/teaching?

21. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, Sorry, I am stuck in single user mode.. You must do the same for your sisters router configuration.

22. computergeekchick

So then for hers or whoevers, I would type in my LAN IP address? Am I following this right?

23. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

24. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

She's all set . Logged into her router and got it configured and vnc'd to show her how I did it.. :)

25. computergeekchick

kodo if u r there. my sister's router is not cooperating. It seems alot more clear cut than mine but when I make the changes and then try to access my PC same message as before

26. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

what kind of router does she have?

27. computergeekchick

lynksis befsr41 ver 3.1

28. computergeekchick

i am on aim at her house

29. computergeekchick

i AM LOOKING MORE INTO THE ROUTER AND IT STATES THAT I SHOULD SET UP A STATIC IP ADDRESS IS THIS CORRECT

30. computergeekchick

IT APPEARS AS THOUGH THE ROUTER IS FAULTY. WILL TAKE IT AND REPLACE AND THEN HOPEFULLY EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds