Time Machine and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maglib, Jan 9, 2014.

1. maglib

maglib Private First Class

Is there any way I can back up to the network Time Machine/time capsule from a window 7 laptop? Or can I clone my hard drive or set incremental copies of everything in my user name?

I use Time machine for my wireless. My son has a mac and has backups working. I see it as Z: from my laptop but can't get any type of backup for my laptop to work. The backup software I tried never gives z:\\ as an option of a place to backup too......

It is 1tb so it's a waste otherwise. So infuriating as when I bought it, they sold it to me saying I could do all the different machines (we have 3 windows based and a mac)..... too bad I left it in the box a long while as I would have returned it as I can't see it as a backup device.

I see one place that says use syncToy.... is there a better free backup utility that is available that would allow me to backup to the network drive?

Thanks.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You should be able to backup both os's to the time capsule although the windows might not be remotely as easy to setup. I would start by telling us what software your using for backup, and some of the other users here might have backup software recommendation that allows network shares as a back up destination.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So if I understand, you want to backup time machine backups?

There is a folder called Backups.backupdb for normal drives used for Time Machine. I am not sure what a time capsule uses. My NAS backs up a sparseimage, so it could just be a single image file. Back those up.

Or are you wanting to also backup your Windows 7 machine to the Time Capsule?

4. maglib

maglib Private First Class

Windows 7 machine to time machine...

The windows backup doesn't recognize the Z drive as a place to back up to. I don't recall as I deleted other software that I had downloaded from majorgeeks where I had the same issue that the z: drive was never listed as a place available to back up too.

So what is best easy to use backup software that allows me to backup to a network driver?

My other issue is my new restored backup files that I do have from windows backup for some reason did not back up Quick Books files!!!! Not sure why they got ignored as it seems everything else came over. This is my not for profit and last copy I have is October.... any help?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds