Tips on Caring for Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by training4life, Aug 11, 2008.

1. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Hello! Could anyone be kind enough to share tips on how to care for my laptop? Like putting a screen protector, purchasing cleaner for the laptop, things like that. I would really appreciate if you share your knowledge for this matter. Thanks!

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

In over 20 years of using laptops ( luggables in the early days ;) ), I've never seen the need for screen protectors. It all depends on the climate where you use a PC. In dusty warehouses I've seen screen protectors on desktop monitors.

To clean any plasma or LCD screen, I use Philips Screen Cleaner (SVC2540/97). It is expensive, but economical, and works on TV's too.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

For dusting the keyboard trackpad thing, I use a 2" paint brush. Cheap but works well. For the fans I use canned air. For the screen, check out the stuff bigbazza mentioned.

E

4. training4life

training4life Sergeant

What is that canned air?

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Actually, it's not just "air", but I don't know the exact technical specifications for it. In the can, it's in liquid form. When sprayed, the can must be held in an upright position. Failing to do so can cause the output to be in liquid form. The liquid is very cold and contact with skin should be avoided. You'll see warnings to this effect on the can. But, they are easy to use if you use them the correct way, and are very helpful for cleaning computers.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yeah, I guess it is technically a can of 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane. Say that 3 times fast, and you will see why I call it a can of air.:-D

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds