1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by orwell, Aug 8, 2008.

1. orwell

orwell Private E-2

I now get this message or a general crash message whenever I close Windows explorer. It only happens if it is the only window open e.g. if I have "my documents" open, and also have a "my computer" explorer window open, I can close that window without an error. However, if I then close "my documents" I get the error.

This began today after I ran "CCleaner." I ran this (long story) in a long-shot effort to get a game to work (very long story).

After searching for info on this error, I ran a few online virus scans (I have Norton, which claims I am clean). One site found Application.Psexec.S in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spsexec.exe and deleted the file. I have not restarted yet nor tested for the error as I'm in the middle of another hours-long virus scan.

Anyway, thanks if anyone reads this.
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Thanks. I don't really suspect malware because several other scans show nothing. I also use spybot.

I'm wondering if it's worth attempting a repair install of XP. So far, this error isn't really a big deal, because it just crashes when you close out the last application of explorer, but I'm worried it's a sign of some catastrophic issue lurking around the corner.

Also, I guess it always could be crapware that I'm missing. I went through the first few steps just in case (up to java update, which I've done).
  4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The only way to rule out malware is to go thru the entire procedure and attach the logs in a malware forum thread.....then if in fact you are clean, it could be discussed in the software section. :)
  5. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Thanks, I was afraid you were going to say that ;)

I am working through the process now and will attach the logs.
  6. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Ok, it's done. I've posted the four log files over there.