To Save or Not to Save Encrypted Pages to Disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Oct 8, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

The title above, and the screen-shot below should tell (ask) the whole story/question . . .

Isn't it best to select this , and in fact, Do "Not" Save Encrypted Pages to Disk?

PS - PLEASE disrtegard this one also...***ADMIN*** please feel free to delete this question entirely...I just ran it through my head (as I've asked this very question some years ago), and the thinking is (I think!), yes, if there is anything that I WOULD want to "save" to disk, it WOULD BE the encypted data.

Thanks - I apologize for wasting anyone's time.

Best,
    Glenn.

Attached Files:

2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Wait a minute . . . (he says, two MONTHS later...!?!)

Have I got this BACKWARDS??

In america we would say either "check" or "Uncheck".

Seems the Brits say; "tick" or "un-tick", eh?

So folks, which is it...which, is more wise...more secure...please?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Seems I ask many of these sorts of questions when I'm first setting-up a new machine/OS..and it seems I was not clear on this one a year ago when I first bought Windows 7.

I'm taking a chance here, as I about half expect someone to come-along and say:

"stay out of there and do not ever return to that area of YOUR PC because YOU have no business trying to tweak, set-up, or even LEARN anything more than point and click (oh and type again now in W8)".

I have READ on this subject, but have heard a case for setting it BOTH ways, so am obviously seeking further clarification).

The question remains:

To Save or Not to Save Encrypted Pages to Disk?

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

It doesn't matter, really. It's just a cache system. Do you want to cache encrypted content, or not?

As David said, you definitely delve into things that really shouldn't be messed with in the first place... there's simply no need. If you want to "tweak" so many things that are set up perfectly in the first place, why aren't you using Linux, where you can literally spend the rest of your life tweaking the OS? Or, if you're simply bored and this is your past time, why don't you do it on a virtual machine, so you can do whatever you want and not screw up your actual computer while doing it?

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I suppose it's all a bit complex for me (including my reasons)

1. I have to wonder "why" the options are there if not to be decided-upon..?

2. I do like to learn, but I know it's as much a "social" outlet for me too (though I hope to be moving in the next few weeks, I currently live alone, in one of the smallest towns, in THE smallest county in my state)...very rural, and just *not* a place that I've managed to fit into.

3. I (apparently) have HUGE "Trust" issues (possibly worse than I even know).

With all of the massive MEGA-Corporations, such as M$, and all the advertisers, and others (including (political types, etc.) who track and might desire to track, us (some who would want very much to tap into as much of our personal [PRIVATE!!!] info as they can "get-away" with), well I seriously question every day now if I am wanting to even TOUCH my machine, as far as entering into the virtual/cyber world is concerned.

I honestly don't know...that was sort of the whole point of the question...I thought?

I recall "looking-into" (reading a little something about Linux years ago, trying to learn about or understand what it is), but as I recall, really didn't quite grasp it (shocker, eh?)...maybe I should look-into it again...

this is certainly a "part" of it (reason for my, yes, seemingly incessant, questions)

This sounds very interesting, though I am not sure if that means an actual, physical thing, or if means virtual in a more literal sense, such as a "Sandbox" program on my current machine..? I promise to make time to look more into it, as I get the feeling I've worn-out my welcome here.

Thanks.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I'm a huge privacy advocate, myself! I absolutely hate the idea of people collecting information on me, etc. That's a discussion for another time and place, though. ;)

In fact, at the risk of derailing this thread, you'd probably be very interested in PeerBlock. It is a filtering app that filters your web connection at the IP address level (it's entirely independent of browsers or anything else), and has a lot of pre-made lists (that are updated regularly), such as government IPs, etc. Also, you can either ALLOW or DENY port 80 (it will block all other ports, regardless, on the "blacklisted IPs"). Port 80 is the port your web browser uses. I feel like I've barely explained the program, but I'm sure you can Google/read up on it yourself... I was merely trying to give you a very brief introduction to it.

On-topic: I would NOT cache encrypted pages, myself. That is my personal preference.

If you are interested in Linux, I highly suggest you start a different thread about that in this Software section. There IS a Linux section of the forum, but I am not sure how many people actively peruse it, vs. the "regular" Software "crawlers". I know I rarely go into the Linux section.

Onto virtual machines...

A virtual machine is simply a FAKE computer created by software. Anything you do IN the virtual machine CANNOT affect your computer. Think of it like the animated car on a GPS system versus your actual car you're using the GPS in. They are both cars, kind of, but one does NOT affect the other AT ALL.

The software is simply virtual machine software... there are several out there, but one of the best is VMWare's. I personally have used VMWare Workstation, but they also have a free program as well (which less features)... VMWare Player. Just remember that any virtual machine will behave much like a real computer, as in you DO have to install Windows (or Linux) on it, and you must have a valid license/serial for that installation as well.

Also, keep in mind that a virtual machine uses computer power, and when running a virtual machine, you are effectively running TWO computers on the hardware of ONE. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for you, but it's MUCH easier when you have enough RAM to devote a healthy amount to both systems (i.e. at least 4GB for your REAL computer, and 4GB for your VIRTUAL machine). It will still work if you devote less RAM to the virtual machine, but it will also run with reduced performance, obviously.

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry, I only just now saw your reply here..and I thank you very much for it...very meaty post indeed, from my perspective - THANKS!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds