Tomtom "lifetime Map Update"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tonyrush, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I have a tomtom one XL and when I bought it, included was "lifetime map updates". I thought that was MY lifetime, yet it's not. (Lifetime is the time tom-tom chooses to support this model. After that to them it's dead.) Is there any other source that I can get maps compatible to my tom-tom? I like the unit and I want to keep up with the changing highways. Thanks.

2. EJB

EJB Corporal

'Free lifetime updates' are free for the life of the Tom Tom.

Paid for lifetime updates are also available for the lifetime of the Tom Tom

However, I bet the small print, somewhere in the literature, does put a time limit because of ever changing software systems!

I guess you will always be able to download POIs but I can't imagine that maps from other sources would be available!

3. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

Thanks

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

As an alternative or back up use NAVMI on a smart phone or tablet. The maps for the world are always FREE, and they update regularly, and you only need GPS on (not data internet) when using it. There is both an Android and iPhone apps.

5. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I use WAZE on my android phone it's updates for free.

No charge to use there app.

https://www.waze.com/

6. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

Thanks. I only have a stupid phone. It makes and takes calls, but that's it.

7. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

Thanks

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK well if you don't have any other device, eg a Tablet or iPad either, then you will just have to rely on the TomTom and pay for map updates.

Tonyrush likes this.
  9. EJB

EJB Corporal

Most satnavs are now available with free lifetime maps, and the cost prices go down each year.
    My first Tom Tom didn't and it was never updated (£60?) but after 5 years it was still perfectly OK.
    We travel, by road, to at least 6 or 8 European and Scandinavian countries a year.

Guess what...I too have an old Pay as You Go phone.
    We are well up to date with Computers but reached our limits as far as other systems are concerned.....besides the older you get the more you have to look where you are going:)

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My android tablets have GPS. I know Waze will not work if there is no wifi signal available which of course will happen a lot when traveling. Will Navmii work when there is no wifi signal?

I tried google maps offline and it sort of worked. I'm still very newbie when it comes to using maps on a device. I spent my entire life using paper maps and still rely on a printed copy to get me from home to a new (and strange to me) location.
    So I end up printing put google maps and using the paper copy. :p

I do want to try something on my tablet but I'll do a few test runs going from home to places I already know how to get to, to see how I can use a program.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Navmi never needs a internet data connection (except then you update the maps of course!) because the maps are installed free on any device. All it needs is GPS turned on. That's why it makes it the best such application.
    But it DOES need an appropriate device - Smart Phone, Tablet etc. There are many good Android tablets now that are very cheap - cheaper than buying a GPS device and paying for maps.

12. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Well most Apps contain stuff that is not needed.

Like some apps will read your phone contacts list and make random calls with out you knowing about it.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No it's not relevant. Virtually every single app that is freeware (whether Android, Apple or Windows) will involve adds, and MAY (but in the case of Navmi does NOT) include options/offers for others apps.
    Navmi doesn't ever need an internet connection when in use. Simple. That's the point.
    Suggesting some other unneeded app is not useful.
    You've put it in a separate thread and that's great. It's not relevant to this one!

14. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

15. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Always a good idea to fully read the app permissions you are agreeing to before installing any app.

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

This app also blocks licensing checks to allow for stealing paid apps. I don't think anyone here supports that.

17. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's not a time limit. It's hardware based. I have the Tomtom One XXL IQ Routes GPS and when new I could download the entire North America map. Due to upgrades in their maps, I can now only download parts of the NA map.
    How were you notified your map support was dropped?

18. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

19. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

My GPS had a message that said "the maps on this gps are over a year old. Go to Garmin.com to update." And when I signed onto Garmin's website, I got a message that said that this unit is no longer supported.

20. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Why don't you just buy a very cheap tablet and use a free app like Navmi that never ever needs any kind of internet connection when using it.

Tonyrush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds