tonight's the night!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tat2d12000, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tat2d12000

tat2d12000 Private First Class

yes folks, tonight's the night i go offline and rip out my hard drive. i have been looking forward to this because of all the problems over the years with Windows ME. i know, it sux. anyway, i'm putting in a 2.0 usb upgrade card and installing xp on my clean slate. hopefully between the hi speed, xp, usb upgrade, and hard drive i should see a modest improvement over what i started with. i want to rechip it but need to research it more. i don't want to waste resources or time doing it wrong and being stuck with no pc. before i do this, any last words of advice? all suggestions would be appreciated. i hope to make this a flawless transition.

2. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

As always, make sure you install an antivirus, antispyware, anti adware, and have a good firewall. Make sure you have all data backed up as it sounds like you are going to reformat the drive. If you are just going to migrate the drive to the new system without formatting be careful because having any malware on it and having it get executed could be a mess.

3. tat2d12000

i am putting in a brand new 80 gb hd. i have all i want to save on disk until i convert the old disk into an external drive.

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Do one upgrade at a time, don't install the USB card unitll after you're up on XP with your new hard drive. If your going to slick your old hard drive to use as a slave or in and external enclosure, again wait untill your got XP going and files are restored. Good Luck.

5. tat2d12000

:confused: i don't understand, you're saying crack the case twice to get this stuff in there. i don't know if i want to do that. i was told there should be no prob with the card or hd or xp. what gives?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes I would go with Jerkykings recomendation, while you may have no issues in installing a new HD and USB card in one go, its a good thing to install bare basics first, install the OS and get that working and upto date, with OS updates and security software, then install add-on cards one by one, makes troubleshooting easier if something doesnt work correctly first time, if you install multiple items, its harder to trace the errant item.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds