too many firewalls on

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Aug 27, 2011.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I just got off the phone with Norton + question their advice.

Their firewall is on.

My desktop says the "Windows" Domain firewall is off, the Private profile one is on, and the Public profile one is off.

My laptop has all three Windows firewalls on besides its own being on.

Norton says that its product takes over and adjust Windows firewall as it sees fit.
    I have never heard of two firewalls on at the same time. I have no problems except I have to jump start my homegroup with an ethernet cable to get it going then I can release it.

What is the rationale behind all of these firewalls being on??
    Thank you
    Peter

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The three different windows firewalls are actually the same firewall with different profiles depending on what type of network you specify that you are connected to. These three profiles adjust security options in different ways to make you either as secure as possible (Public) or a normal level of security (Work and Home). The difference between work and home as I see it is that Home allows you to use HomeGroups but work does not.

If Norton claim that their product reconfigures the windows firewall then I suggest you turn them all back on on your desktop machine and let Norton handle it all. It is possible to run with more than one firewall on although there may be conflicts at some point in the future, although it sounds like Norton has been designed to avoid these problems.

3. locodave

locodave Corporal

And why I never liked Nortons. Wants to take over on choices. I kinda know what I'm doing and Nortons wants to make choices for me. That said. I use Avira and zonelabs firewall.

Zonelabs gives me a choice of not allowing programs. More important is when a program installs, choozing it to be, not letting it be a server.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Between your input and aother person's advice, Norton has done the right thing as it is not different firewalls as it appears to be. I understood the explanation at the time but cannot rememebr how to reexplain it. Norton is doing its job well. I have never had a problem with it and was curious about the multiple alledged firewalls. All is ok, and running well.
    Just like my digital phone from my isp and the dvr etc specialized technology is surpassing most people's ability to undertsand all the ins and outs.
    I too want to have all the control like being the adinistrator of my router etc.
    I guess I have to let some others take over at some point.
    Collins did a great job of pointing out a lot of what an other tech explained to me by phone..
    Thank you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds