Too many processes/Heavy memory usage - bjgarrick advised me to post here

Discussion in 'Software' started by rorschach1791, Jun 25, 2005.

1. rorschach1791

rorschach1791 Private E-2

Hello all,

Ive recently just cleaned my PC from all spyware, trojans etc under the guidance of bjgarrick over in the software section. On completion of all that, the PC still doesnt seem to be running at an optimum.

Its a family PC running Win XP, 3 user accounts. All have been cleaned.

Anyway, recently installed memorybooster. This tells me im usually running at about 38-50% free memory. With 3 progs running it can go down to 27%.

I also have the following happen.

Ok downloaded used the registry software. Im happy that this will have cleaned my registry up somewhat. The PC still doesnt seem lightening fast, even after defrag also. There is 12.5gb free space on a 40gb hdd but im still only getting 50% free memory even with just ms outlook and firefox running. So apps dont seem to open as fast as they should. Maybe its just me.

The only other strange thing it does, is when im knocking about windows explorer, like my documents or prog files etc, it will always - like a few times a day, do a sort of pause and then a complete screen refresh, so all desktop icons go blank and then have to reload, and i also then lose some icons from the sytem tray so it just goes down to the bare minimum. Any idea what this is?

BJGarrick said that you guys in here could maybe help me out.

2. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Could you fill us in on what is the total amount of RAM installed? As well as what speed processor you've got? You can find it by right clicking on My Computer, then left click on Properties. It will be listed in the bottom half of that window on the right side.

And from what other people are saying on the board, Windows XP does a pretty good job of managing memory, so memorybooster probably isn't necessary, and would just be taking up memory that you could otherwise be using.

3. rorschach1791

Hi,

Ok its a AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.54 ghz with 224 Ram.

Ive just uninstalled memorybooster.

Thanks for the quick response.

4. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

You should also start by unistalling/deleting files that you dont use.

controlmind

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You might also try www.blackviper.com for many tips on improving XP performance. I haven't got into it fully yet myself, but lots of MG 'ers recommend that site. Bazza

6. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

bigbazza the website www.blackviper.com says "This site is under construction and coming soon" and it also says "This domain is registered with Network Solutions"

controlmind

7. bigbazza

It used to be a vital source of info.:confused:
    Hope it hasn't gone to the big Internet in the sky.:p
    I haven't accessed it for ages, so apologize for my post. :eek:

Some google links to past blackviper stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&sa=G&as_qdr=all&q=site:blackviper.com

See, it used to exist.:D Baz
    ===

8. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Yes, bigbazza, it does exist. Sorry, had to :p

The wise owners of MG.com have put a copy of the XP services configuration on their servers, but with a distinctly MG.com look to it. :D It's here now.

rorschach1791,

256MB of RAM isn't a whole lot for Windows XP, especially if you've got a lot of things running on startup, and you're using 32MB of it as your graphics card. You could add more RAM, get a PCI or AGP graphics card (this will free up the 32MB), OR do both.

If anyone else has suggestions, please post with them.

9. rorschach1791

ok thanks for the advice.

I will have a look at blackviper. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but we hardly ever play games or use the pc for anything that may need a 32mb ram videocard. Can we disable this or will it lead to a completely blank screen?

thanks again for the suggestions

R

10. rorschach1791

Also -

Just ran a disk diagnosis tool.

small file(1mb) write speed - 0.954secs
    small file read(1mb) - 0.766secs
    large file write(10mb) - 12.391
    large file read(10mb) - 8.542
    drive overall write - 24,069kb/sec
    drive overall read - 20,177kb/sec
    file copy speed(10mb) - 1.298
    directory lookupspeed (10,kfiles) - 16.625sec
    file delete speed (20mb) - 0.250secs

the last 4 bar file delete speed, are all rated slow.

11. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

The only time you should disable the integrated videocard is if you're getting an AGP, PCI, or PCI-Express videocard to replace it. Otherwise, either the computer won't boot, or you won't see anything on your monitor.

More RAM may be the easiest way to speed the computer up for you. Probaby another 256MB stick would be ok.

Download, install, and run Everest from here, then from the Motherboard grouping, click on Motherboard, then post back here with the info under Memory Bus Properties, if you'd like help selecting RAM, and if you've got some open RAM slots on your motherboard.

Post # 100! Go me!

12. rorschach1791

memory bus properties

bus type - ddr sdram
    width - 64 bit
    real clock 134 mhz (ddr)
    effective clock - 269 mhz
    bandwith 2150 mb/s

not sure i could fit memory myself tho so i think its probably a non starter.

did you see the results of my disk speed tests? would a decent defrager improve performance or is it mainly memory?

13. bigbazza

There used to be a detailed list of what processes were running on XP, and whether you could disable them, on the blackviper site, together with the info that MG saved (on your link).
    I thought I saved the detailed list, as a txt file, so will have to search a bit more thoroughly for it.
    A quick search did not find it. I hope it is still on my PC as it really was comprehensive info. Bazza
    ===

14. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Well, I'm guessing that the disk speed test goes from RAM or hard drive to processor then to RAM, then to the hard drive, but I could be wrong. So if something slows it down on that trip, then maybe it could effect the results.

In your first post you said you ran XP's defragmentor, so it should be pretty well fixed up, unless you have recently uninstalled some programs that you aren't using any more.

All installing RAM involves is opening the computer case, opening 2 clips, pushing the RAM into the slot until the clips click, and replacing the case. And if I read your memory details correctly, a 256 MB module for your computer would run you $30 at most, according to newegg.com

@bigbazza, Yeah, that list of processes sounds vaguely familiar, but hadn't checked the website really since shortly after putting XP SP 2 on my computer.

15. bigbazza

rorschack1791. Futher to noahawks's advice. Dont forget to earth yourself on the PC chassis or some metal bit, EVERY time you delve inside your PC. Static discharge can damage PC chips, including RAM. Just walking across carpet can sometimes build up static, just waiting to discharge itself somewhere.

@noahawk. Congrats on the 100 up . Bazza

===

16. bigbazza

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try this instead:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

This is a mirror/clone of the blackviper site.....

18. bigbazza

The MG link is helpful, but only a small part of what used to be on the blackviper.site. Bazza

===

19. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Oops, bad habit of mine :eek: , but no casualties yet, knock on wood. But still, more RAM and clearing out startup programs you don't need would be the best thing... or, give Microsoft's Bootvis a try. Linky It's a touch advanced, but it optimizes the boot process of XP. Go to the Trace menu, then click on Optimize after installing. Let it reboot and then wait for the program to start. It may reboot again after that, but not sure. Just got my load time down to 36 seconds for the top system in my sig, according to it. :D

20. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

rorschach1791,

While I'm thinking about it, if you are going to purchase more RAM, let us know before so that we can confirm what you'll want to get.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds