Too many quick launch buttons

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinXP Home SP3. Something on this PC is set so that just about EVERYTHING gets its own new icon in the quick-launch tray. I mean just about everything! If I create a new folder, it gets a quick launch button. If I create a new Notepad file, it gets a new quick launch button. Any software installed automatically gets a quick launch button whether I want it or not. Needless to say, this is highly annoying. It doesn't really hurt anything, and it's easy to remove the unneeded icons, but it shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    So, wuzzup?!?! Anyone have any wisdom?

Thanks.

[dlb]
    :-D

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Here are the two files in my quick launch folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    Show desktop is all that I use there. Assume you tried turning it off and rebooting, then restarting it. Definitely weird...:confused

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused I figured it out. Somehow, someone had created a 'desktop toolbar' and put in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. So when anything new was added to the desktop, it would appear in this 'toolbar' also! Weird. What happened is I dragged the separator line on to the desktop and a window appeared called "Desktop Toolbar". I simply right clicked it and selected "Close toolbar" and now it's gone. Weird.
    :-D

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use True Launch Toolbar which sounds similar. They probably had theirs linked to the desktop folder so anything added to Desktop shows up on the Toolbar (not the way it is supposed to be used). It may be a startup item on that PC so it will reappear on restart.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds