toolbar/taskbar problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by achoriim, May 11, 2006.

1. achoriim

achoriim Private E-2

Please help!

When I try to minimize a window of a program that I am running (i.e. IE Explorer, Word, any window), it disappears!

If I run the task manager I see that it is still running and I can re-open it through task manager. But, it seems to disappear somewhere behind the toolbar of my desktop or around it or whi knows where!

I have attempted many different things with in the the taskbar and toolbar properties, but nothing seems to have worked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Achoriim

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Create another user account, log on using it, and try to replicate the error. This won't fix the problem, but it will help narrow down where the problem is for us.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Please help! When I try to minimize a window of a program that I am running (i.e. IE Explorer, Word, any window), it disappears! << achoriim

Help is on the way... ;)

You can use "Minimized Programs Missing" VBS Script which you can find at: Kellys Korner.

(1) When you get to that page; scroll down under Taskbar to where it lists: "Minimized Programs Missing"
    (2) Click on blue "Minimized Programs Missing" link and download the VBS script.
    (3) After you download it; and run the VBS script this should fix your problem.

By the way, if you're uncomfortable using VBS scripts you can download the entire Taskbar Repair Tool Plus – which is available at that same webpage and is great tool that allows users to repair and customize the Quick Launch, Taskbar and Notification Area in Windows XP.

The "basic" version of Taskbar Repair Tool Plus utility/program is free and includes the "Minimized Programs Missing" fix and the "licensed" version offers even more taskbar fixes and customizations and only costs around $5 bucks. The entries with a red star * next to them - denotes the tweaks that are only available for the licensed version.

Good Luck!

4. achoriim

achoriim Private E-2

Awesome! Worked like a charm. Thanks. I would love it if you could tell me what might have caused this so I can avoid it in the future if possible.

Thanks again,

Achoriim

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>>Awesome! Worked like a charm. Thanks. I would love it if you could tell me what might have caused this so I can avoid it in the future if possible. Thanks again, Achoriim <<

Anytime! My pleasure, really... ;)

To answer your inquiry as to what might have caused this: Do you use any Windows XP Themes?

The reason I ask this is because several of the Windows XP Desktop Enhancements available at the Microsoft website as well as many other so called "third-party free themes" available these days out there on the web can cause several minor problems as well as create all kinds of major havoc with the taskbar.

This problem can also be caused by; and even reoccur, because of a malware infestation. Have you recently received [or perhaps downloaded] any so called "free email" greetings? There are two notorious program entries in particular that are sometimes to blame for the 'Minimized Programs Missing' problem that you encountered. Here's how you can check for the two malware infestation program entries...

Open 'Control Panel' and select 'Add/Remove Programs'. Check for BOTH of these two program entries: WinSrvReg and Friend Greetings. If found, uninstall the two program entries and then reboot. After you have checked for the two program entries that I mentioned above - you might want to go on line to the BitDefender Online Scanner and try their free anti-virus checker - Just to be on the safe side! ;)

Note to Others Reading this Thread:
    The 'Minimized Programs Missing' problem can also sometimes [but not always] be fixed without using the VBS file from Kelly’s Korner - by using the Windows System Restore tool to return your computer to a previous working state.

Somewhat Related Links:
    MSKB Article ID: 307855 How to Configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP

Incidentally; I forgot to mention that you can also obtain the VBS script at this Kelly’s Korner Webpage... After you get to that webpage - Scroll down to (Line 240) "Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar" to download the VBS script.

Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds