Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of IE 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Apr 12, 2009.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

Knowing that Microsoft will start offering IE 8 shortly via an automatic update, I'm not ready to install it yet.

According to the article, if one declines the update it will then be available as an optional update rather than a high priority/express.

Found this tool http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...28-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&DisplayLang=en

However, I don't know if this download tool is also applicable for one computer only as it says that it is for IT Administrators (business only?)

Who will be able to tell me if I can use this blocking tool?

THANKS!!

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Change the way you update. Go to Start -> Control panel -> Security center -> Automatic Updates -> select -> Notify me but don't automatically download or install. When the update arrives the yellow icon appears in Tray. When you click it you should be able to select what installs you want. Here's Microsoft about it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525/en-us

3. wiebelhaus

wiebelhaus Private E-2

Hey man , I'm going to level with you. I hate windows. I have 7000+ service orders under my belt and I don't trust it by any stretch of the imagination and use a Linux Kernel of one kind or another for everything , even the repairing of Windows machines.

So if I'm saying this there must be some truth behind it....

IE8 is good , best offering of Internet Explorer yet. It's not for me though! But I'm big into Microsoft protocol as I'm Certified and do things by the book! so with saying that i feel that keeping on top of the latest updates is absolutely crucial to windows safety which is virtually non-existent anyway , but whatever.

The issues I've found with it is the compatibility with some sites is still a bit funky and all the additives are useless so during setup just disable them all but over all it's not a bad offering.

Cheers mate!

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I agree. Running a fully patched system is what one should do. I already have IE8 here.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

I have a full patched system but just don't want IE 8 yet until all bugs are ironed out. Don't want all these fancy add-ons etc. either because I use IE only for windows updates. Yes, it has been said that browsing with IE 8 is supposed to be safer.....

If I follow your instructions in your previous post, will windows not "nag" me to update to IE 8 again and again?

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I think there's an option to select "don't show this again" or words to that effect. But I can't remember for sure...

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I did select that option once but that was on Microsoft Updates site. It worked. So when the yellow icon shows up you can go there and do the same.

PS: I later solved my problem and installed the missing update.

8. oma

oma MajorGeek

I'll be on the lookout for that cordialis. Thank you.

9. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

At least IE8 wont install behind your back...

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, that's what I don't want .... behind my back. ;) I'm happy with IE 7 for now.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

12. oma

oma MajorGeek

Just found out that IE 8 will not automatically install in Windows Update?

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/04/10/prepare-for-automatic-update-distribution-of-ie8.aspx
    Hopefully it will do what it says that one will have a choice whether for business or not ( and for XP)

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds