Tools/ Internet Options - error mess Admin ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by HUDIK, Jan 23, 2005.

1. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

I just wanted to check something in Tools/Internet Options in IE, and got an error message to contact the 'System Administrator'.. Well, that's strange I am the only person that uses this computer, and as far as I know haven't changed anything. Could somebody please help me sort this out.:confused:

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Do you have Spybot S&D installed? If so, open it and under Mode choose Advanced. Choose Tools, and then IE Tweaks. See if "Lock IE Control Panel against opening within IE (current user)" is checked. Uncheck it.

3. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

Yes I do, and it's unchecked. Sorry for panicking. Scanned with Adaware and found a hijack of the homepage by www.msn.com (cute, eh). Have now gotten back control over my IE Tools/Option. Thats the first hijacking I've ever had of my homepage.

Thanks :) for the tip re. the Spybot S&D. Could you explain why it should be unticked.??

hudik

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I'm confused. Are you saying it is now unticked and you can get into IE Tools/Internet Options? Or you looked at the setting and it was already unticked?

From the SpyBot S&D Help file: "locking the IE settings will prevent other users of your computer to change your preferences."

5. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

What I was trying to say (badly I guess), was that the Adaware scan took care of the hijacking, and I now have control of the IE Tools/Options. I did not have the 'lock' ticked in Spybot S&D at the time the hijacking happened. I thought you said I should have it not ticked so now I'm kind of confused too............. :confused:
    Should I have it ticked now?????????

hudik

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

If you are the only user of the computer, leave it unticked.

7. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

OK will leave it unticked.

Thanks for the help, :)

hudik

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds