Top 3 internal 1 tb hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Wondering what most experiences with people on here are with larger hard drives.

I was looking for a beefy hard drive to replace an old one with is about only about 320 gb.

I personally have a WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive ( WD10EZEX)
    However i wanted to use one as my MAIN drive, and this one i have i use as a secondary for mostly just storage.

Would getting another one of these as a main still be good? Because while i never have problems with the one i am using ( about a year now) its only used as an extra internal storage drive

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Bragging rights? Why would anyone do this?

People need the space depending on what they do, i know very well how large a 1 tb hard drive is because i have 3 of them already and i have 2 of them nearly 80% filled ( but those are external hard drives).

I take a lot of pictures and also a lot of videos and need to edit them and keep various forms of edited videos at hand for different reasons. 1 hd video that lasts like 45 min can take up to 1 gb+ now imagine editing this video like 4 or 5 times ( along with more and more videos) . Same with thousands of HD pictures

So instead of having 2 drives in my pc i was thinking of just swapping out the smaller hard drive for a terabyte. However larger drives 1 tb+ seem to have higher failure rates which is why i was asking which of the larger drives most people are using as a main boot drive.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

From personal experience, I strongly question Hitachi's overall quality. While Hitachi's (very expensive) enterprise-grade drives seem to have good reviews, their consumer-grade line is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to reliability.

Even within a given brand there can be huge differences in reliability. As an example, my choice for system builds with a 1TB drive is WD's Caviar Black series - good online reviews, a 5-year warranty and I think I've only had one with problems out of 25 or so I've purchased over the past few years. In contrast, WD's Green series constantly tanks in user reviews and I have seen several that failed after only 1-2 years on machines brought in to me for repair.

My advice? Check user reviews on reputable sites such as Amazon and Newegg for the specific model number you're looking at. An extra $20 spent on a higher quality drive may save you hours of troubleshooting and data recovery attempts later.

5. Lapetus

Lapetus Private E-2

I use WD Black as internal drives, for external storage I am using a mix of older WD & Maxtor drives but slowly moving to the WD SE WD2000F9YZ 2TB for all external storage.

The reason I choose WD Black & WD SE is they both have 5 year waranties & are designed for extreme conditions, heavy usage. They are actually the only drives designed for exactly those purposes. I guess the Rapter is but it's also to expensive when you have multple systems.

I would prefer the smallest drive possible for my internal OS drive, as that provides for the greatest performance & best security of data. All data storage is kept on separate drives & or partitions, never on the OS partition. Only the OS & programs reside on the C: partition.

For internal OS drives I partition them into three partitions (PT).
    PT1 40GB to 50GB for the OS & programs (C: drive)
    PT2 & PT3 the balance of space split between both for temp storage (D: & E: drive)

Even my external HDs are partitioned, for the 2TB WD SE I created 3 equal partitions, A 1TB HD gets 3 partitions, anything below 1TB is left as a single partition or 3 partitions depending on what's to be stored on it.

Multiple parititons allows for flexibility & security of data & greater performance on OS drives. These are best practices that have been lost today. See the attached image for an example of what I refer to. DRV07 is my internal drive, DRV22 is a programs storage drive, DRV58 is a movie storage drive.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds