Torrents going extremely slow, ISP problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by disk00, Sep 13, 2010.

1. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

Hello,

When i torrent programs, ( not pirate ) like getting games from a website, like online games, or a free trial that has torrent as an option for download. For some reason they go...like sickeningly slow.. I should be able to download up to 137kb/s but im lucky to get over half a kb.

This is really agrevating because normaly i use torrent because in my case, its almost always faster, and i can resume it later if i dont want to finish it right away, but at that speed, it takes WEEKS to get a file that should only take me a few hours.

Any ideas?

( i think its my PC actualy, i was on my friends 25mbps connection and still couldnt get much higher than 5 kbps and these files have over 1k seeders average )

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

A lot of speed issues with torrents are usually caused by not having your port forwarding setup correctly. Lots of the torrents i see today wont give more then 10kb or so unless they "see" that your uploading to the best of your abiltiy, usually the more upload the fast your download speeds go. Check your port forwarding setup and make sure thats set correctly.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also just note that some ISPs are bandwidth limiting Torrents these days, once they see the sign of torrents being downloaded they will reduce the bandwidth, and still leave your general surfing ok. Can get a rough estimate if anything is happening at your ISP regards torrent throttling HERE

Need to speak to then or read the T&C and Fair Usage Policy.

If on friends internet and still the same then disable your firewall and antivirus to test speeds. What does your friend get on his PC as reguards to torrent speeds for same file?

4. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

I've seen my friend get over 2mbps on a single download. We have the same internet provider also, so i know its not that.

The only things ive installed lately that have anythign to do with networking would be, Hamachi, WampServer, and mysql

5. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

double post sorry.

No my ISP is not throttling my internet, atleast not acording to your link

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What torrent program are you using, and when you first installed it did you setup the portforwarding?

7. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

I always get told to portforward... to be honest, i have never had to do that, in the like 6 years i been torrenting. When we first got our internet, it worked great, i was downloading max speed, router was fine too, didnt throttle it, or affect anything. It wasnt till like this last week or so that the download has been terrible. I think it might have something to do with Wamp, Mysql and hamachi. But im not sure yet.

Oh and i use uTorrent, and i tried bitcomet, but that makes everything disconnect constantly

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Well i always liked utorrent for a client, but as far as forwarding, i have seen it both ways, and seeing as your downloading legitimate torrents, why not upload? Thats part of the process imho. Thats still my best suggestion tho. Good luck.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would go with CMguy above, but also disable the application you mention in Wamp, Mysql and hamachi, to test with, if running MySQL are you running a large database thats accessable by online users?

Could try Vuze (I never had issues with this app).

Do also as I mentioned try disabling your security apps and seeing if one of them is causing this slowness.

Are all your drivers upto date? do you have any yellow ! marks in Device Manager, if so by what?

10. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

Well i was playing around with the listening port, or whatever on uTorrent, and was watching the download speed, a few times of hitting random port...it suddenly shot up to 138kbps so...YAY problem is solved now! i hope.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds