Torrents What are they?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perin, Dec 26, 2007.

1. perin

perin Private E-2

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I wanted to download a TV prog I missed. Eventually I found it and had to Download Torrent to get it. However after quite some time it appeared I was uploading a large amount of data also. What data would I have been uploading? I am worried personal documents etc may be compromised.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Info on Torrents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

but nutshell is torrents are Peer 2 Peer ( P2P ) files, aka filesharing, this allows users to get files not just from 1 PC that has this file but many at the same time, as you installed this P2P aplication you became part of this network so you will be allowing others to get this same file from your PC, so using your bandwidth, hence the upload traffic.

P2P and the application you maybe using could contain spyware, this would leave your PC open to data loss, there are safer P2P applications to use in downloading torrents ( we list a few on the main downloads page ). However while P2P is not illegal, what you could be downloading may well be subject to copyright and illegal... but thats your moral dilemma.

You also run the risk of contracting malware from these downloads as the nasty malware writers know and pray on folk who want something for nothing like Software/Music/Films etc and hide malware disguised as legitimate named items... so not all that sparkles is golden.

3. perin

perin Private E-2

Thank you. Whilst I will be steering well clear of torrents and anything resembling P2P in future it is reassuring to know that others were only uploading the same file, I was worried I had inadvertantly opened all the files on pc up to be downloaded. I have plenty of anti malware protection on PC and I will scan with them next.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds