Torrents

Discussion in 'Software' started by TEAM, Apr 10, 2011.

1. TEAM

TEAM Private E-2

I understand from a post on your site that torrents are files, is that correct? How does this work?

I'm also pretty conflicted on whether downloading music is legal or not???? please explain....I read an article that it was legal if for your own personal use, is that correct? or is it illegal across the board?

if legal, could you please explain the process and any advice you may have????

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Torrents are the file types that allow networking on P2P sites.

Basically, the general rule is downloading music (movies, software, etc) that is licensed, without paying for it, is piracy and illegal. It doesn't matter if it's for personal use. That is generally the purpose of P2P file sharing sites...personal use. It's illegal (downloading music, that is...not P2P networks).

There are numerous arguments for why it shouldn't be illegal, but as of now, it still is.

Besides being illegal, if it's not the number one means of malware infection on computers, it's pretty high up there. Saving yourself 99 cents just isn't worth an infected computer and possibly your personal info stolen.

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

I am not master at the downloading music these days. But I know its illegal to download music and moves. And if caught you can be punished. Does that stop people from doing it? no. But I as well as most others will suggest not to go try to download music/movies due to them being illegal plus you can get your computer infected by downloading what seems to be a song. Also there are sites where you can pay monthly fees to download music, they also go sites where you can download and pay per song you download. Also if caught very big fine. I actually thought Id never see someone getting busted for this. But I actually know a guy got sent papers by his internet provider stating that he download(blank movie) and its illegal and if he continues then he will pay 500,000 fine possible plus jail time. But he now stops that:-D

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

They are starting to really clamp down on the illegal downloads here in the U.K, People are getting very big fines and going to Jail for it now. So I would say that it is a big no no to use torrents to download music/movies and software, plus as already pointed out I have had to repair countless of machines that have become infected from malware/virus's due to file sharing on torrents, not worth the risk!!

iain.t :major

5. TEAM

TEAM Private E-2

Thank you ! Well, i definitely prefer to stay on the right side of the law for sure ! It's funny though that they wouldn't just shut down things like Frostwire - it has been in existence for quite some time...I'm sure authorities would have the capability to do so. Regardless, I'll stick with my itunes....easier to use and above-board ! lol

Your responses are much appreciated !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds