Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512 Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by tamethetikbalang, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamethetikbalang

tamethetikbalang Private E-2

Hi! I have a new HP compaq nx5000 running windows XP with a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512. I have a little problem that's irritates me because I have to reboot everytime I need to read data CDs. If I put a CD (data files) on the DVD-ROM and then boot. After start up, the ROM drive will read the CD but if I replace the CD with another CD (data files), it won't be able to read it, and even if I replace back the first CD it read, it won't be able to read it again. If I boot the nx5000 without putting a CD, and just put the CD after Start up, still it won't read it. But it can read DVDs and Audio CD with no problem. My officemate has a new nx5000 too both are company issued notebooks. I swapped his DVD-ROM in my nx5000 and my DVD-ROM on his nx5000, still my nx5000 can't read CDs, but his nx5000 has no problem reading CDs. I don't know if I need a driver or something.

2. lauraospina

lauraospina Private E-2

I have a similar problem. I have a compaq nx9010 and the CD drive does not work properly. Were you able to solve your problem?

Thanks.

3. KariAud

KariAud Private E-2

I have the exact same quirky problem ...and am desperate for a solution.
    k.

4. anantavijayguha

anantavijayguha Private E-2

Hi ,
    is Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512 a dvd burner? can somebody please help me with some software that can be used to write cds/dvds in Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512?
    Thanks in advance,
    Anant

5. JoeFletcher

JoeFletcher Private E-2

I guess I'm in the same boat... I have the same problems plus other nuances. For example, I'll put a CD RW or DVD RW in the drive, and sometimes it will not even recognize that there is any media in the drive. It reads Audio, DVD, and CD-Rs fine, and it writes to CD-Rs. But it does not like CD/DVD-RWs at all. If anyone has any help, PLEASE write me at JoeFletcher @ yahoo.com. Otherwise, I face a 7-10 day down time returning it to Toshiba. Toshiba support could not figure out what the problem was.

PS, I use Sonic RecordNow if that makes a difference, but apparently not if others are using Nero.

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

7. scotmist

scotmist Private E-2

I have SD-R2412
    Keep getting Command and drive speed error message. Can't find answer on Toshiba site. Any ideas?
    Pls & Thx

8. NICK ADSL UK

Hi Scot and welcome to major geeks! :)
    Well on your model you have a software update
    Updates InstantCD/DVD package version 6 to 6.21.
    File size: 15.2 MB
    For all Toshiba Combo drives.
    Date: 23.11.2001
    Supported by Windows 95/98, ME, NT4 (from SP3), Windows 2000 (from SP2), Windows XP.
    For English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Japanese language.
    InstantCD/DVD Ver. 6 must be installed before installing this update; older versions of Instant CD/DVD can't be updated!
    Windows XP: Install Instant CD/DVD vers. 6 (which is not XP compatible!), DO NOT restart your computer, install this update version straight away.

It may be dated but do make sure that you have updated this ?

Please make sure you only update what applies to your modal only and nothing else
    http://www.toshiba-europe.com/stora...pe=product&ptype=&frame=content&model=SDR2412

9. scuzzbutt

scuzzbutt Private E-2

Hi,

I have am trying to burn a DVD but I keep getting the following error:

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk may be corrupted, or could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

I am using a HP zv5000 with XP Pro

toshiba dvd-rom sd-r2512
    driver version: 5.1.2535.0

I cannot seem to find a later driver or firmware... and I desperately want to get this baby burning...

Any ideas/help would be appreciated: scuzzbutt@hotmail.com

Thanks

Scuzzy

10. NICK ADSL UK

11. JoeFletcher

JoeFletcher Private E-2

I haven’t necessarily fixed the problem, but I’ve found something that works. I learned that CD drives are picky about which media (CDs) they will work with. I started using Memorex High Speed CD-RW 12x 700MB 80 minute rewritable discs, and I haven’t had a problem yet with those.

However, the Memorex Ultra Speed 24x 700MB 80 minute did not work as a rewritable media. I think this is because our drive is one that can read at 24x but can only (re?)write at 12x. I also tried Staples rewritable DVD-RW (up to 2x compatible) 4.7 GB discs that did not work.

However, I was able to get the Memorex 24x and Staples DVD-RW discs to work as write only, but I still occasionally had some of those issues mentioned below.

So, your safest bet is to buy Memorex High Speed CD-RW 12x 700MB 80 minute rewritable discs. If anyone ever come across other types that work, please let me know (especially DVD-RWs that work).

12. BradMehl

BradMehl Private E-2

I have been having the same problem with an HP Nx5000 and an internal TEAC DW 224 E DVD/CD ROM.

Nobody appears to be able to help me either. I have tried removing upper and lower filters in the reg, but to no avail.

PLEASE help.

13. sharonsieiro

sharonsieiro Private E-2

can i burn a dvd with toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512?
    wat drivers wud i need to do so?

14. JoeFletcher

JoeFletcher Private E-2

Regarding whether I've been able to get my cd drive to work properly: Unfortunately, no. I’ve tried different types of discs, and some of have worked better than others… although recently none seemed to work. Tech support told me I’d have to replace the cd drive, but I’ve never been able to afford the long wait of shipping it off and waiting for it to return. Ironically, I’ve hardly ever had to use my CD drive.

I don't know whether it can burn DVDs b/c I haven't really had much luck with regular CDs. I'm not sure if it is supposed to have the functionality or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds