Toshiba L300 Hard Drive Crashed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samir69, Jun 11, 2011.

1. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

My Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 hard drive crash while accidently pull out the plug while upgrading from vista to 7. whenever I try to install new OS using paragon hard disk manager 2011 this message comes up "wizard did not find any hard disk where a new volume can be created" "this disk contains partitions that cannot be moved" although it does format. I have used KillDisk as well but no luck so far. and when I try install windows 7 directly from the DVD I still get the same message as before "error code: 0x80070570" . your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

You were trying to do an upgrade. So at this point--do you still care about your old Vista files or are you just trying to get 7 installed?

Have you already wiped the HD of all partitions using either of those software?

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I assume you tried an update from within Vista (running)
    Can you see the HARDdisc in the Bios (F2 on starting) ?
    If you can -- try pressing the zero button on restart to see if it will activate the hidden partition. If it works you can reinstall as factory, then run the Windows 7 update from within Vista,
    If that does not work, try pressing F8 on restart, and see if you have the option to repair the original Vista- if so, do so.
    Otherwise, you may have lost access to the recovery partition, by using killdisk.
    The hidden partition should still be there , unless killdisk messed up the partitions.
    If this is the case, Start up with the Windows 7 disc in the drive, and delete all partitions except the buffer(usualy 8mb), and then clean install Windows 7.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

Hello again guys, I don't care about the previous files in vista anyway. and i tried doing a fresh start but keep getting the error messages while on 27/36% of the install (while windows is expanding files). obviously I have wiped out all. now I get another message " Directory d is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility" but as far as i know this utility in within the windows OS which been wiped out. please any more suggestions? thanks.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When starting to load Windows 7 , from the dvd look for the command prompt in the options
    In the command prompt window
    Type CHKDSK C:/F/R
    Press Enter

Here is some help (Vista and Windows 7)
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Shutting off while installing has probaly caused disc errors.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

Thanks mate, the CHKDSK worked fine with the following results:
    1- windows has checked file system and found no problem
    2- failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

when I tried to install again "windows could not format a partition on disk 0. the error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. error code: 0x80070057"

7. sach2

So you have already wiped the disk using active killdisk. (I want to make sure you aren't trying to save the recovery partition if it existed.)

When you tried to install win7 after the ActiveKillDisc did it show all unallocated space on the disc? (No partitions)

8. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

yes already wiped the disk using active killdisk (thats what someone advise me to do to repair the fault with hard drive), but to be honest couldn't find the recovery partition even before I used killdisk. I'm not trying to save the recovery partition. all I want is to install new OS 7

When I tried to install win7 after the ActiveKillDisc it show:
    Disk 0 Partition 1: system reserved Total size:100MB Free space:86MB
    type: system

Disk 0 Partition 2: new volume Total: 111.7GB free space:117.7GB
    Type: Primary

although I deleted and formatted the partition before using the Paragon Disk manager 2011 but still had the same problem. but now it looks like above. I wonder if the hard Drive has gone:(

9. sach2

I've seen threads where Windows won't load until someone tries to install Linux (basically overwriting the disk) and then suddenly Windows installs. So I'm thinking maybe a problem with the MBR getting jumbled or such is holding things up.

Two options would be to use Paragon to wipe the whole disk. Or use Diskpart to wipe the whole disk.

Try diskpart since it will be very thorough.

Put your Win7 CD in and use the Repair option to get to the command prompt.
    Type in diskpart and hit <enter>
    Type in select disk 0 and <enter>
    type in list partition and <enter>
    Do you get just the two partitions you listed above?

10. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

yes exactly the same partitions

11. sach2

Still in diskpart
    Type in clean all
    *This a complete format of the HD so it will take several minutes*
    Then exit to leave diskpart
    Then exit to leave command prompt.
    Then reboot CD to get back to install option.

Then you can try the install again letting it take over unallocated space.

12. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

doesn't work for some reason.
    Virtual Disk service error:
    clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume
    :(:(:( I really appreciate ur help, but i feel depressed man:(:(:(

13. sach2

Were you still in diskpart from before with Disk 0 selected? That is where you wanted to be.

14. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

yes I was. DISKPART> clean all

15. sach2

Let's try again.
    In diskpart.
    type in select disk 0 <enter>
    type in select partition 1 <enter>
    type in delete partition

Do you get an operation complete message?

16. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

successfully deleted the selected partition.

17. sach2

Type in select partition 2
    Type in delete partition
    Type in list partition
    See if you now have no partitions.

Type in clean all

See if it runs.

18. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

When I type delete partition that's what i get:
    Virtual disk service error:
    the device is in use
    the selected volume or partition is in use.
    to continue with the operation use the OVERRIDE parameter

19. sach2

Type in list volume just want to see what it says before we override.

20. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

volume 0 ltr: E Label:GRMCULFRER fS: udf tYPE dvd-ROM SIZE:4346mb STATUS:HEALTHY
    VOLUME 2 Ltr:D Label: new label Fs: NTFS type:partition size:111GB status: healthy info: pagefile

21. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

sorry about the smily, that was a typo

22. sach2

Try delete partition override <enter> and see if it goes through.

23. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

same previous message not allowed

24. sach2

Sorry,
    I didn't think this would be so aggravating.

Try select volume 2
    delete volume 2

25. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

the argument specified for this command are not valid.

26. sach2

Sorry just delete volume

27. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

same message again:

the selected volume or partition is in use.
    to continue with the operation use the OVERRIDE parameter

28. sach2

One more thing to try before downloading a Gparted linux disc to delete the partition table on that disc, would be to use your Paragon program to delete the partition and then try diskpart with the clean all option again.

The Gparted option might be worthwhile. About 140mb and a blank CD.

29. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

I'll try that 2moro it's 3..00Am in London, and I'm working early morning. I really appreciate ur help. I'll let u know the outcome 2moro. many thanks.

30. sach2

Good night! :)

Sorry a simple thing has become so grueling. I was trying to save you from downloading another program but it may in the end be a time saver.

Tomorrow is another day.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sachs is usually good at the technical way, but, When I have trouble with hard drives, I find it easier to use the Seagate tool- it does work on other hard drives (see last link)
    I know many use aLinux cd to do it.
    I suggest if the diskpart, etc: is proving diificult, Downoad SeaTools for DOS, as an iso and burn to cd
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
    Read the tutorial
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271&NewLang=en

32. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

Hi guys, just to let you know I have tried all without luck. still get the same error. I think it's time to go for a new hard drive.
    I like to thank all of you for the help provided. especially Sach2.

33. sach2

That is unfortunate.

Did you try a zerofill in seatools. (Equivalent to Active Disk).

Or faster creating a new partition table in Gparted which will remove any existing partitions.
    [​IMG]

34. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

yes i have mate. the problem is not the partition. I solved that following ur instructions, and succeeded in deleting the partition "all clean" but when I install the win 7, it comes with the same error :(

35. sach2

So your error is 0x80070570

I'll let you know if I find anything of interest (won't be tonight--dinner guest).

It can't really be a corrupted files system since you started with a completely empty disk.

36. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

37. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

tried the memtest .tried removing the RAM as well without luck .should receive my new 500GB drive tomorrow. will keep you posted guys. thanks

38. samir69

samir69 Private E-2

changed the hard drive and my win7 work fine. very pleased:-D
    thanks guys.

39. sach2

Good work!

You know when to cut your losses and move on. I would have been struggling with that drive for another week convinced it was still good. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned here for me...:confused

Thanks for keeping us posted and giving us the final resolution. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds