Toshiba L500 black screen on win 7 install

Discussion in 'Software' started by levit8, Mar 3, 2011.

1. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

Hi,

I am trying to install windows 7 onto a Toshiba satellite L500.

It copies the files, expands, reboots. then is says it is installing the registry.

about 30 seconds into installing system services the screen turns black, as if their is no signal.

any help???

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Installing from where? A DVD? Did you format the drive before installing it? Did the laptop work fine before you started the reinstall or was there a problem that made you do this?

3. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

Installing from a dvd. I thought the dvd would format the drive. Previous to reinstalling the laptop would only start in safe mode.

4. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

after the first reboot it black screens on "completing installation" every time.

Vista seems to install ok.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Give the exact model number from the tag on the bottom.

Did the laptop originally come with Vista or Win7?

6. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

Satellite L500
    PART NO. PSLS9A-025012

Came with windows 7, strange it will only install vista...

7. sach2

I have looked around quite a bit and have not found anything specific to that model having the problem. As you said it came with Win7.

A couple of thoughts:

Have you tried using the built in factory restore function--or have you deleted the restore partition?

Are you using Toshiba restore discs or retail Win7 disc?

The problem you are experiencing seems to be wide spread with both Vista and Win7 but not with your particular model laptop.

I have a couple threads I found with little tricks to try but I am not sure of the best option. I'd like to make sure you are familiar with partitions before giving much advice because I don't want you to accidentally delete a factory recovery partition if it still exists.

8. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

I have been using an oem install disk. I have deleted the partition. I have a friend with the same model. I'm going to try to burn off the recovery disks from hers. :confused

9. sach2

Hi,

I'm not sure her laptop will let you burn another set of recovery discs as they usually only allow one copy. If she has already burnt hers you could probably copy her discs using something like imgburn. (Using the Create Image file from Disc option to copy her recovery disc to HD as an ISO file. Then using the Write Image File to Disc option to burn the ISO file you created to a blank disc)

The links I have found all seem to revolve around hitting Shift + F10 to get to a command prompt and then going to device manager and deleting the graphics drivers. I am very distracted these last few days so I really haven't been able to concentrate on a plan forward for your problem.

You could look at the first answer to this thread.

Or this tutorial. I would think the time to hit F8 is after expanding when it reboots. In device manager you would be looking for your graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650) and right click it and disable.

Now at this point I don't know if the installation continues or you must reboot manually.

Again, I have read a lot of links but have other things on my mind so you may want to read a few more for clarification.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions but I won't really concentrate on this until Tues. or Wed.

10. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

That fix did it. Thanks very much... you guy's are legends!!:-D

11. sach2

I'm glad you got things sorted. Give yourself the credit you did all the work! :)

I'm sorry that I didn't have time to go through more threads and give better instructions.

Could you please tell me what you did after disabling the graphics card? Did installation continue on its own or did you have to restart in normal mode for the installation to finish? I'd like to know so I could be more clear the next time I see the problem.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  12. levit8

levit8 Private E-2

:cry
    actually it seemed to work. I followed the two proceedures, "restart safe mode, disable graphics driver". Windows 7 installed successfully for the first time yesterday. I connected to the net, and downloaded and installed the correct chipset driver .

Then the next time I restarted it hung on the windows is starting screen. Now when I repeat the safe mode proceedure, error say's "windows setup has encountered an unexpected error. Please retart your machine t continue installing windows."

13. sach2

I guess you could try a clean install following these last steps (9-15) in this guide to delete the existing partitions so all remnants of the existing Windows is removed. Then try the safe mode method again.

I'm am not good at drivers which I think is the problem after installation completes. Did you get the chipset driver from Toshiba's site for you model? You might ask your friend to check Device Manager to see which driver version she is using then try installing that same version. Create a restore point and then worry about upgrading the driver to the newest version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds