Toshiba Laptop fail

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarolDee, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CarolDee

CarolDee Private E-2

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-55068, bought 9/2010.
    It came with Win 7. I made recovery disks when I bought it before installing anything.

I use CCleaner, I have anti-virus (Trend Micro)
    I normally shut down when I'm not using it; sometimes it is off for a couple of days.

For the last two weeks, it's been getting slower and slower. It takes about 5 minutes now to boot up and open windows. Too many browser windows will really bog it down - there's 4 G memory.

Yesterday I shut down and restarted - it will do the POST test but refuses to load windows.

Questions: Is it possible the hard drive is bad? Toshiba has a replacement for $60
    Should I just replace the HD without getting the motherboard tested? I can do this myself

I have the recovery disks and I just bought Idrive and backed up everything on the HD so I'm not that concerned with recovery.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Carol

While Windows boots can you enter the BIOS and likely one of these keys HERE if you can check in the menus that your HDD is recognised and check date and time.

If possible at boot start tapping F8 and see if you can get into Safe Mode with Networking.

3. CarolDee

CarolDee Private E-2

David,

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't boot into safe mode, windows wouldn't boot at all but I could get into the BIOS, that's why I suspected the hard drive. After I posted I realized that if the motherboard was bad, I wouldn't even get to the BIOS. (Palm to forehead).

I ordered a replacement HD from Toshiba ($60), installed it and since I'm a good little geek and made recovery disks when I first bought the thing, I'm installing them right now.

Fortunately I just bought iDrive 2 weeks ago and ran a complete backup. Yay.

It's nice when things go right for a change even after they fail. Many lessons in Should Have Done over the years I've been messing around with 'puters.

Thank you again for your reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds