toshiba nb205 boot problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by chasmoline, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

When I turn computer on I get screen that says toshiba leading innovation, and at the bottom says press f2 for setup or f12 for boot device selection menu.
    I've tried the f2 and f12 and 0 keys, nothing gets me past this screen. I tried a new hd also but stays the same. Any ideas?

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Welcome to the forum chasmoline.

Have your tried removing the power cord and the main battery and let it sit for an hour?

3. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

yes i have

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Have you tried removing the HDD and/or RAM?

If so, give us a rundown on what you have tried.

5. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

tried about everything, it started out doing this once in awhile but would come on later, now it never does even after sitting for days

6. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

tried the hd but not the ram

7. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

if i turn on with escape key held down, screen come up and says system ram passed, does that mean that the ram is ok?

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Not necessarily. If there are two sticks, try removing one at a time?

By chance, is there anything plugged in to any of the USB or Firewire Ports?

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi guys,

I had looked at this earlier and did see a thread that might give you some information or an idea of possible explanations.

When you hit esc key and get the BIOS information which BIOS version are you running?

It sounds like it is a buggy model that has a definite flaw so I don't know if this will help. There is a long thread with people with similar problems, most won't even get to the Toshiba screen but a few do. You may have already seen this thread but it may be worth cooling it down in the fridge to see if it makes a difference (Take the battery out first). If after cooling down it does boot up it would probably be worth doing the BIOS update if your current version is lower than version 2.0 to see if it makes a difference.

10. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

nothing plugged in, says ram ok, how can i load bios update if i can't run computer?

11. sach2

You can't do the BIOS update if you can't run the computer. You want to see if cooling it down and then trying to boot gets you past that Toshiba screen. If it does get you past that screen and you have an older version of BIOS then it is worth a try to update the BIOS and see if it resolves the issue. You can try putting the HD with Windows in it then unplugging it and removing battery for a couple of hours and see if it will boot. If it boots to Windows then you could do the BIOS update.

I'm not saying the cooling down will work but it seems there were several people that had success cooling down the laptop by removing all power and/or refrigerating it for an hour or so. Whatever the problem with the motherboard is it seems to be temporarily resolved by cooling down the unit.

Hanging on the Toshiba screen seems to indicate a hardware problem. Cooling down doesn't make a lot of sense but no one seems to have been able to pinpoint which component was causing the hangup. I'm just giving you the information that cooling it down may be worth a try.

Did you check which version of BIOS you are running?

12. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

computer started after having the bat out and power removed overnight updating bios now

13. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

left unpluged with bat out overnight and it started up, updated bios so we shall see!

14. chasmoline

chasmoline Private E-2

Wow, seems to be working, hope it stays that way. Thanks to everyone for your help!

15. sach2

I hope it stays that way too! :)

Did you happen to notice which version of BIOS you were running before the update? It might be helpful information for someone if the update solves your problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds