TOSHIBA netbook Windows 7 starter iso?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cronoisme, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

I have a netbook made by toshiba and I would like to reinstall the os. But they dont provide you with any software or a usb stick to reinstall the os. I was wondering how I would go about getting an ISO for it. Im not asking to pirate it or anything I would just assume you spend money on a netbook and you should get an OS with it if you want to reinstall. Anyone know if I have to call them and request one or if maybe they have it on their driver page or something? Cause i looked and i couldnt find anything.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There should be a 'recovery partition' on the hard drive, every netbook I have worked on has one (and I've worked on A LOT of netbooks, more than 150). Accessing the partition varies with manufacturer, but generally you can press the F8 key repeatedly right after you turn on the PC; you'll get a menu; one of the options should be "repair Windows" or "repair system" or "restore computer" or something similar. This is the option you want. Once chosen, just read the info on-screen and make the appropriate choices and you'll be on your way. If F8 doesn't give the option to restore/recover the PC, contact Toshiba support for the correct "hotkey" to launch the recovery partition. If, for some reason, the recovery partition is gone, there is no legal/legit "ISO" to download. In this case, again, contact Toshiba support (have your PC make/model/serial number ready) and find out how to acquire either recovery discs (for use with an external drive) or how to restore your OS. I'd be VERY surprised if they provided a bootable USB stick to restore the PC.

3. Cronoisme

yeah the problem is someone in my family deleted that partition. i even downloaded something called active partion recovery, which did recover the H drive which was the recovery partition. But when I reboot I press f8 I go to repair computer it doesnt give me an option to restore to factory default settings. So im stuck having to reinstall windows 7.

4. Cronoisme

whoops should of read the rest of your post. Thats some bs they dont have a way to do it unless you got the recovery parition. Like lets say you had a nasty virus that disabled all of that than what would you do lol? They really just screw you over like that?

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yes, they really screw you over like that. I'm a tech at a small independent PC shop. Recently, a customer brought in his Acer netbook, the hard drive had crashed. On top of that, the Windows product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop had been worn out just enough to where I couldn't read the product key number. So, even though we had the USB external DVD drive and the Windows install CD, we still couldn't install Windows to a new drive. We called Acer, we called Microsoft, not ONE person after 6+ hours on the phone and countless emails could help us. The customer had to buy a new netbook because it was actually cheaper than buying a new hard drive, buying a new Windows license and install disc, and then paying us the 1-2 hours labor to install Windows, drivers, AV software, updates, etc. At one point we were actually told that we weren't supposed to install Windows from any disc even if we had a legit product key that matched the version of Windows on the disc! So, what is the product key sticker for?!?!?! We were accused by both Acer and Microsoft of attempting to pirate the OS, even though the ONLY reason we called 'em was to get a customer's PC up and running LEGALLY!

I've had a beer or 3 and a Bloody Mary or 7 and I'm rambling all bitter and PO'ed. The moral of the story? Netbooks are sold/designed to be throw away items. If the hard drive crashes, or the product key sticker gets destroyed due to cheap-*** paper and ink, you're expected to toss it in the dumper and buy a new one.... :banghead

On a lighter note: if the product sticker is intact, you can probably get Windows re-loaded (with drivers, updates, etc) at a local independent PC shop for under $100. A nat'l chain like "Worst Buy" will tell you to buy a new PC.

(phew - that was exhausting - I need a beer or five :drink )

LOL

Good luck!

6. Cronoisme

Haha man that is really messed up. Well anyway thanks for you help thought I appreciate it brotha.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds