toshiba satelite c660

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fionamarie, Mar 11, 2015.

1. fionamarie

fionamarie Private E-2

I have a Toshiba satelite c660, which up until yesterday was working fine, but then i got the BSOD, I managed to restart the pc in safe mode, but after i turned it off it came back on, I got the toshiba screen but then instead of loading windows it hung with a black screen and a fixed curser in top left hand side. After about 5 minutes a screen flashes but too quick for me to read, then a Boot menu appears. Can anybody advise? I have all my business work on the hard drive and cannot afford to lose it. TIA

2. fionamarie

fionamarie Private E-2

EDIT

I have a Toshiba satelite c660, which up until yesterday was working fine, but then i got the BSOD, I managed to restart the pc in safe mode, but after i turned it off it came back on, I got the toshiba screen but then instead of loading windows it hung with a black screen and a fixed curser in top left hand side. After about 5 minutes a screen flashes but too quick for me to read, boot failed, then a Boot menu appears, giving me the option of HDD/SSD Toshiba MK6475GSX, CD/DVD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208AB, FDD and LAN <Enter BIOS Setup>. Can anybody advise? I have all my business work on the hard drive and cannot afford to lose it. TIA

3. fionamarie

fionamarie Private E-2

Can anyone help? im pretty desperate to recover the informatio on the drive if at all possible. x

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi fionamarie

I have two options for you to try:

1. If you can boot and enter the BIOS (should be tap F2 or DEL when booting the laptop) then navigate to the boot order, if cannot find easily, just go through all the menus, you are looking for a boot order and it may need reseting back to the HDD as first boot device.

But also if you get the boot order in that boot menu, have you chosen HDD/SSD Toshiba MK6475GSX and see if it boots ok, if so, use the earlier bit to set the HDD/SSD to 1st boot device, then F10 to save and exit the BIOS.

2. This one needs a spare PC or laptop and you can try and take out the laptops HDD and slave/connect it to another PC, this can be internal to a desktop or using a set of USB cables like THESE if which I suspect you are in UK, see if you have a Maplins or PCWorld close as they are likely to have these cables.

If you have a spare PC or a friend has that knows the how to slave a HDD then all you need to do is to connect up your HDD to a spare internal SATA slot and power cable and grab all your important data off it and save to large USB pen or USB external HDD (always worth having a large 1TB external drive to save important stuff to as a backup, they are not too expensive these days, especially if you have important work data)

See how you get on with those options and let us know.

5. fionamarie

fionamarie Private E-2

Thanks for the reply David. if the hard drive is failed, which i assume it is how can i get the data off it? i tried to connect the hard drive in a docking station attached to a spare laptop but was unable to pick it up and kept throwing a driver error up on screen

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What was the error in full if it was shown?
    What Windows version is on the spare laptop?
    What is the model of docking station?
    In Device Manager on the spare laptop with the docking station plugged in, do you have any yellow ! marks and if so by what device?

Sadly if the HDD has suffered a platter crash, then not a lot sadly but hope it has not and this is just a driver issue with the docking station, some can be problematic.

7. fionamarie

fionamarie Private E-2

Thankyou again David for the reply, it is a all in one docking station. i have connected it to the spare laptop. now when i go to device manager it is shown up as :- under Disk drives - TOSHIBA MK6475GSX USB Device.

how will i be able to access the data on the drive now if possible.

TIA x

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds