Toshiba Satellite 1805 laptop bios problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dondd, Aug 17, 2009.

1. dondd

dondd Private E-2

I cannot get my Toshiba laptop (model 1805) to boot up. It was working OK, then went south. I cannot boot up... it doesn't even attempt to start. I had done a recovery (I have the CD's) and was updating the system. At one point it told me to insert the operating system disc and boot from it, but I didn't have the original (XP Home Edition), so I inserted XP Professionl. That's when everything really went south. Continuing, I formated the HDD using my good computer and a USB adaptor. Strangely, it only took about 5 seconds, but when I explore it, the only folder showing is "System Volume".

I need to start from scratch but need some guidance in booting up the machine. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Don

2. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

can u access the bios to make sure the cd drive is set to the 1st priority?

3. dondd

dondd Private E-2

jGuy6,
    Every once in a while when I try to turn it on, I get the screen that allows me to choose the bootup device. However, yesterday I spoke with Toshiba and they told me to hold the Esc key down while powering up to get to that screen. They also directed me to their download site to download the bios driver for that pc...which I did, but still can't get the pc to give me that screen.

Also, I've seen some information that indicates if my backup cell is depleted, that would cause some bios issues, so one thing I'm thinking of trying is to replace that cell. Getting to it looks like a tricky job....gotta take the laptop apart.

Don

4. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

can you help me with the model number exactly? it should say 1805-s???, i would be able to help you a bit more in trying to access the bios. generally on toshiba's though you just have to hit the "esc" key right when it turns on. (try hitting the key multiple times upon starting it if holding the key down does not work or F2 is sometime the default for some models as well.) the "back up cell" you mention is the "cmos" battery and all it really does is save your bios settings and the date and time, without the battery your settings are lost and are usually reset to defaults. do you have the laptop plug into power when trying to boot up? (i know stupid question, but it can cause more problems if the laptop is not plugged in when you attempt to access the bios. replacing the cmos battery can be a very easy task or a difficult one depending on where it is located. most times the battery is usually placed next to the ram to allow easy access, however i have seen on other laptops where its underneath the keyboard so you have to do a bit more work to get to it. usually if you just have the power cord plugged in, it will allow the bios to ignore the battery being depleted because you are providing power to the entire system. on battery is a different story though. you should also get some sort of prompt if your battery is really dead. on start up it would say something like "cmos error, press f2 to load defaults or enter setup" is the most common. if you can get me the model number i can help you a bit more, accessing the bios shouldn't be too hard. hope this helps a bit.

5. dondd

dondd Private E-2

jGuy6, Thanks so much for your response and interest. The model is 1805-S204. I currently have it equipped with 512mb ram (just added 256mb). I understand your position on the battery. Interestingly, Today I removed the main battery and tried booting with just the power pack plugged in, and it at least woke up, so my battery was doing something bad. Unfortunately, I've probably dug myself deeper in the hole before realizing that the battery is in part the problem.

I did download the bios driver Toshiba pointed me to and I "think" I created a bootable disc, but I'm not sure because It still won't boot up. I was able to get to the bios screen and made the CD primary, but still no soap.

Holding the Esc key down did get me to the bios screen a few times, now I get nothing. If I don't press any key, I get the splash screen (TOSHIBA) for a fraction of a second then nothing. I used to get it up for one or two seconds and could press F12 to get to the setup screen.

I guess right now if I can find a way to load the bios drive I downloaded, (http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/1183v11.exe) I might get some where. I even tried to boot from an XP OS disc, but no soap there either.

I have a main battery coming...it should arrive any day now. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks, Don

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it is connected to power and you get nothing, there is something else wrong.
    You should be able to get into the BIOS of a healthy computer.

At this point, I would not do anything to the BIOS because you will further complicate the issues you have. Flashing the BIOS is not a fix for a computer that will not boot up.

7. dondd

dondd Private E-2

plodr,

Thanks for your input. I'm afraid I've already dug that hole in that I've formatted the drive (outside of that pc, of course) and I may have done something to the bios...I can't tell. At this point I'm waiting for the new battery to come in. I'll charge it and see if I can't get to square one.

If you have any steps I should take to ascertain the problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Don

8. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey don, Seeing as you have already attempted to format i assume you dont need any data that is on the HDD?

I think it would be worth seeing if it will boot a disk wiper...
    [i recommend getting the UBCD, it has many useful tools on it includng a nice zero writing- two pass wipe] not sure why but i've had it boot many a time when nowt else will.

Ultimate Boot CD

If this boots up and lets you wipe the drive methinks it will fix this tbh. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Please link to MGs downloads when available.

10. dondd

dondd Private E-2

Q, I would have like to keep the data, but nothing I can't redo...just takes a bunch of time. I'll download, burn a CD and run the Ultimate Boot as you suggest. It is worth a try. I'll let you know how I make out.

LauraR, I'm not sure what you asked me to do....Please elaborate.

Thanks to both of you for responding...Don

11. dondd

dondd Private E-2

Q,

Clicked on your link, downloaded ubcd411.exe file. Then went to
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/nero6.html, to learn how to burn an iso, but when I get to the step that supposed to select the iso image, I see nothing in the folder where I downloaded it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Don

12. ~Q~

Sorry don, i should have pointed out you can download the ISO itself [instead of the .exe or .zip]

I have never used the .exe before but am in the middle of dl'n it now to see what i've subjected you to :lol:

But you can just get the ISO file frm them if you want it's only about 120MB so if you have a decent speed it wont take too long. and then you would just need to install/open a program like infrarecorder and select "write image" or something similar, and point it towards where you saved the ISO file to [i recommend the desktop] and basicly click GO, [also make sure you use a CD and not a DVD !] .......

13. ~Q~

Update:

i've just ran the .exe ubcd file, and it seemed quite straight forward, it just asked me where i wanted to extract it to [i chose desktop] clicked ok and the ISO popped up ther straight away, try running it again and choose a location yourself.

Q

14. dondd

dondd Private E-2

All, Thanks so much for all your input and help. Unfortunately I've discovered a major problem and as the machine is 8 years old, I'm going to give it a rest. I will however make the UBCD for future problems....I'm sure I'm not done having problems yet!

Keep up the good work MG...great site!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds