Toshiba Satellite 2435 S-255 shuts down unpredictably ?virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve Peat, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Steve Peat

Steve Peat Private E-2

Hello!

This is my first post and is really a plea for help from those who might be able to! If it is in the wrong forum, please redirect me! Thanks!

Some time ago I noticed my system was running slower than it should. It also turned itself off from time to time. My technician and I formatted the machine (a Toshiba Satellite 2435 S-255) and reinstalled Windows XP Professional and all my programs.

About three weeks later, the same problems reoccurred. He installed another antivirus program (I use Norton and AVG) which found the following:

Trojan/Keenval in file: CePMTray.exe. This is in the Toshiba Power Management Program folder.

We could not eliminate the virus as the file was being used by the system. When we tried to delete it, as it controls the tray icon for the Toshiba Power Management Program. it created a backup file: CePMTray.exe.upd. We set it to not show an icon then deleted it. That is when it created the backup.

Also, the times the computer shut down were mainly when we ran programs like Ad-aware, Spybot search and destroy or antivirus programs.

We searched the Internet in vain for information on this “virus” if that is what it is. We gave up and decided it would be easier to reinstall everything. We formatted the hard drive (slow) and the computer turned itself off several times during this! We eventually managed using Quantum’s disc manager to remove the partitions and do a quick format of the now un partitioned drive. We then formatted it again in partitions. We also updated the BIOS in case the virus was lurking there. We also turned off the machine and removed the power input and battery for one minute to clear the RAM in case it was there. What virus could survive this?

We reinstalled Windows XP professional and the antivirus program. It showed no virus. We then installed just the Toshiba Power Management program from the disc which came with the computer and scanned for viruses again. Lo and behold, it was back!! We managed to eliminate the virus (according to the program) but the computer still turns off from time to time. I have also uninstalled the Power Management Program and still it turns off from time to time. When it does, it does not do a scandisk when I turn it back on which makes me think it is a legal shutdown (?performed by the ?virus) Here’s our thinking for your comments.

This is a virus because the programme found one and it seems to do everything possible to protect itself, like making backups etc… The infected file would not allow us to zip it, rename it or copy it.

This may not be a virus, but be a false alarm by the virus scanner. However, why should it give us a specific name?

Why does the computer shut down, especially when we try any form of scan.

We don’t think it is likely that there is a virus in a program on an original CD from Toshiba.

We don’t think this is a hardware problem, but may be wrong.

It doesn’t seem to be a problem with the BIOS because the problem persists after updating it.

Here is a P.S. to what I have just written:

I did some searching on the internet and came up with the following found at:

http://forums.computingreview.com/showthread.php?t=81

Toshiba Laptop shutdowns!

I have found 322 posts about Toshiba laptop shutdowns. NOT a heat problem, not a power problem. I hear there is even a 'class action' suit against Toshiba from some group.?? I have the same problem. Have done a complete re-format and re-install. It happens when the processor gets 'busy', like a Norton Anti-Virus scan, or running Spybot, etc. NO, it is not a virus or Sasser problem. (Remember, I have done re-installs.) It will sit all day if there is no intense processing going on.???? Grrr..I'm getting a different brand. VERY COMMON in Toshiba..(Check the Newsgroups.) Use a Boolean search: "Toshiba" + shutdowns

Interesting!

We are wondering if Toshiba have been sabotaged and a virus has been put in the power management to start doing this after a certain time as many comment on the problem only starting after a few months or more, which should not happen if it is simple processor overheating. Just a thought. Any comments?

Steve Peat

2. cdrover

cdrover Private E-2

In case you are still having problems with your Toshiba 2435-S255 shutting down ----

I had a similar problem and first thought it was a software problem, then I thought it might have to do with the CPU [similar to the lawsuit on the older models. Fortunately for me I came upon another forum with not only the same problem, but the solution.

The problem I had was an overheating problem. One sign of this type of problem is the fans constantly running on high [once I fixed the problem they rarely run (or at least not noticeably)].

This is what I was told to do - and it worked!!!

[this is from a post by Black3 on a different forum]

"I have had overheat problems and after talking to Toshiba and hearing that repair was a flat $350, I decided to investigate myself. If you remove th[e] hatch with the two torx (T6) screws, you will find the top of the CPU heatsink. There are 4 phillips screws that secure this to the motherboard. Carefully remove these (a pair of hemostats or tweezers will help capture them) and gently pull the heatsink loose. It will stick to the processor because of the thermal compound so some constant gentle pulling is required to break the vacuum. When I removed my hetasink, I discovered it was at least 50% colgged with dust. I blew out the fins with some canned air and put everything back together. There was immediated improvement. The fan no longer runs all the time, the airflow from the back vent is much stronger and, so far, the machine is perfectly stable. Hope this helps."

If this doesn't help you, I hope it will help someone else.

Calvin

3. snodgrass78

snodgrass78 Private E-2

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2775XDVD and I am having similar problem, it when just shut off and when I try to restart it will just do the same thing. I thought maybe it was the fan so I bought a new one and no luck. I had it opened up and dusted out and no luck either. I called Toshiba and since it was out of warranty they basically said it was my problem not theirs. Im pulling my hair out with xmas coming up I dont have the extra money to have it looked at.

4. darrenkdean

darrenkdean Private E-2

To All,
    I have both the toshiba satellite 2775xDVD and the satellite 2435-s255. I have recently been having the same problem as mentioned before, computer shutting off while in the middle of working on something. I dug around and ran various scans and test for three full days. My results are listed below.

Windows XP Professional reported 512MB RAM
    Bios reported 511MB RAM
    Memx86 & Windows Memory Management Tools validated that the RAM was good
    Flashed the bios to the most recent, 1.6 for the 2435-s255
    *problem still occured
    Took 1 ram chip out, ran diagnostics, then did the other. Ram chips are good.
    Now, 1 dimm port will not accept ram, beeps when you turn system on.
    Solution, faulty dimm port & potential over heating.
    *The key here, is validating that your system bios is correctly reporting ram, this will uncover some serious problems if it is not correct.

5. tpl

tpl Private E-2

I have just followed your steps and found the heat sink BADLY clogged. After cleaning the overheating/shutdown problem went away.

Thanks!
    -Jamal.

6. redskys

redskys Private E-2

Calvin, Thank You for the info. My laptop fan was running full blast for a long time. Recently, it started to shut down without warning again. I followed your instructions and it's quite as a mouse now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds