Toshiba Satellite A200 - Major Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vitaperuro, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

So, to begin with I know next to nothign about this laptop. I am repairing for a friend but after a week of trying I am calling out for help.

It won't boot to windows, when I try it gets to a black screen with a mouse cursor and hangs there. I have left it there for 3 hours without any change. hitting shift 5 times does not give me a sticky key option. Safe mode does not work as it gives the same results.

I have tried using the Recovery Discs that he gave me to recover, no dice as well as I tried my own version of Vista and nothing.

I need some ideas.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

Forgot to mention I treid the Windows repair and it ran for close to 6 hours before I turned it off. =\

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

I made up the recovery disk and still nothing. It just sits at the black screen and cursor still.

On a side note it seems when I use my 64 bit version disk it loads to the setup menu, of course once there i can not do anything.

Any thing else I could try?

5. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

No replies yet huh. =\

6. TimW

My only next suggestion is to see if you can't replace the hard drive and get it to install. ( You can pick up a used hard drive for cheap to test the system ).

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you tried the cables to ensure they are tight?
    Does the BIOS show the drive as being a boot drive?

8. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

Yeah, I tried taking out the hdd and putting it back in. I am at this point thinking the hard drive is toast. :cry

9. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

BIOS does show the HDD in the boot list. :confused

10. TimW

Yes, which is why I suggested you find a used one for cheap to be sure. Last one I bought used that worked was $40.

Edit: It was also a Toshiba Satellite.

11. Vitaperuro

Vitaperuro Private E-2

Yeah, I'll have to do some pricing for one. See if this guy can ante up the dough. Thanks for the advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds