Toshiba Satellite L455D Will NOT start after Starting Windows Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlwaysEnuff, Aug 26, 2012.

1. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

Normally I just read the forums to find WALK-THROUGH help and it works. This time.......... I am in total trouble.
    My son started playing this one online game..."Crossfire". This is where I started having trouble. I have never had many issues with my laptop in the past that had been alarming. I have had some issues after him playing his game where I would need to do a system restore to BEFORE he put this in my laptop. I have always backed up my files, so when I needed to do a RECOVERY FROM OUT OF THE BOX state with Toshiba I was ok with losing anything that was in my system. Three times in one month my son played this game and three times I had been forced to do the Out of the box restore from the hidden partition that toshiba places in the systems nowadays instead of giving you the software when you buy the sytems....!
    I had issues on the computer and I was searching through the forums and I found one forum that fit my issues, (I do not remember now exactly do to the fact that this one now has blocked everything then out). But I did exactly what the forum said step by step saving all reports, in case I needed to post anything I had everything that I needed. Upon finishing the steps, I rebooted my laptop over and over, not finding any problems. I did this for a few days then I made a restore point as it told me to do.
    The following morning I fetched my computer from my sons bedroom and plugged it in and booted it up. It Started normal with the Starting Windows, and the logo. After that it went to the black screen with my mouse pointer, and stays there. It has remained there for well over 8 hours. Over the course of the last two weeks, I have tried booting into safe mode with (F8). It goes to the loading files, and then it will repeat over and over for hours the same thing:
    ====> For Realtek RtL8101E/8102E (L) PCI-E Ethernet Controller
    PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check Cable
    PXE-M0F- Exiting PXE Rom.

the screen fills up with the above.
    I tried to do a boot from CD of my Windows 7 Repair disk that I made on August 10 the last day the system worked. I booted from the Disk and I get the same Mouse cursor and black screen.

I then tried booting holding the (0) Zero key for the Toshiba System out of the box reovery, and I get the same thing after loading files. Only once did I get a message in the past two weeks of trying this, and I do not remember exactly what the message was being that it stated it and then said system shutting down. It mentioned cannot ID the partition.

I have borrowed my daughter n laws laptop to bring here while she is working only today, to be able to contact someone here..... and possibly make any CD/DVD I can use to boot my system. Someone please help me..... I do not have much time to be able to communicate.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

The PXE error indicates that the laptop is not seeing the HD and eventually trying to boot from a Network (which you don't have). Basically, the HD is going bad or has gone bad.

Are you sure you booted from the CD? Did you get the message to hit any key to boot from DVD when you booted from the disc? (Because you got the same screen with cursor, I am thinking that you may not have actually booted from the CD/DVD.) If you booted from the CD it should have looked like option 2 here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

See if you can get those screens.

3. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

ok, i just did the reboot pressing F8 for safe mode. It goes right to the screen with the networking error again. Every single option I have tried gives me the same thing. The error message or the cursor screen where it freezes. I have just clicked your link and put my repair disc in. I pressed F12 to boot from CD/DVD and this time I pressed Shift and F10 and it loaded the files. I finally got into the Windows setup options for safe mode, etc., I picked safe mode. After a long load time it displayed the ID partition system shutting down message.

4. sach2

I'm not sure where to go from here. It sounds like either your HD is going bad or there is a problem with the partition table.

Two possibilities to look at the partition table would be:

Partition Wizard bootable CD (scroll way down to the bottom of the page for the bootable CD version)

Parted Magic

Both are ISO files that have to be burned as IMAGE files to make them bootable. Imgburn's "Write IMAGE file to Disc" option will work. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

I would try the Partition Wizard disc to see if labels your HD as bad. That should give us some information as to whether the situation is fixable. Usually, if PW says the drive is bad then no other partition software will work either.

5. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

ok, i tried something before I got your last post, and I think I will leave on this screen until I see something from you otherwise. I went into Bios, and disabled the LAN. Every time I hit F8 it would read that same error. This time I rebooted and hit F8 and it went right to the SafeMode Screen. I am looking at it now, and wondering where to try from there, if it will even work.

6. sach2

Try Last Known Good Configuration. That will try to boot with the same settings as the last successful boot.

7. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

cross fingers

8. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

Hung up at cursor screen again......... i know it will stay that way.

9. sach2

Try to boot to the Repair CD and follow that guide-option 2 to get to the command prompt.
    Then you want to run two commands to check for corruption on the drive:

chkdsk c: /r
    chkdsk d: /r

See if this is a possibility.

10. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

ok, hang on

11. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

i did notice before all this started happening, the laptop was getting extremely hot. Even the power cord box was very hot. I even put on a cooling pad, and it still stayed hot. I informed my son NOT to put this laptop on the bed, and thats where I took it from him. That is when it would not start. But if it burnt up, would it not even turn on????

12. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

just did the command prompt boot, and it is loading all the drivers now....... I remember doing this earlier and it hung up at the cursor screen again. When I load the CD/DVD it is like it bounces back to the cursor screen as well. Staring at the Screen again as I type this. The hard drive lights go out, and so do the CD lights. Almost like it just goes idle

13. sach2

When you start from the CD are you getting the message "Hit any key to boot from CD"? That message comes from the CD, so if you don't see it then it is not truly booting from the CD. If you do get that message then let it sit for 5 minutes--the recovery CD sometimes is slow loading on certain systems.

I don't think the heat is necessarily the cause. The combination of it saying "partition" in the error and it going to PXE/LAN points to it not finding a bootable partition. Now you are getting into safe mode options which means some partition is booting. Perhaps you only got the partition error when trying to do the zero key for recovery.

14. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

I am downloading the partition wizard now. I want to thank you so far for your help. I do have to take a break in a bit to run son somewhere, and hopes to get back before daughter n law gets home......

15. sach2

Sure, I'm sorry there isn't a clear cut solution. The chkdsk is a good option to sometimes get past freezing on the black screen with moveable cursor. But you may have more going on here.

16. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

This is TRUE

17. sach2

I have to go out for an early dinner.
    I would concentrate on trying to boot from the Repair disc and getting to the command prompt from that since it is self-contained command prompt. Then run the two chkdsk commands. I'm not convinced you are booting from it. You should see all the screens in that guide. When you hit a key to boot from disc, you should see Windows Loading Files at the bottom of the screen and then up to 5 minutes later get the screen where you select to accept the standard keyboard. Do you see at least the first two screens?

18. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

Windows Screen

I do not see the press any key to boot from windows. I have to manually hit F12 and tell it to boot from cd. When I do that, I see the windows files loading. The LONG white bar runs across. Then........ it goes to starting windows, and then the Cursor and black window. I just did this before I left, I left at 3:30 and just returned..... (5:41) it is still sitting on the cursor screen where I left it.

19. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

Ok I have downloaded, and burnt the Partition Wizard Iso File onto a Bootable DVD as a image file. I have now inserted it into my "broken PC" and booted the pc to the wizard. I am staring at the screen now where it tells me what I have in there..... System.... NTFS as primary with NO status...... My C: drive.... NTFS set as Primary, with no status..... and then the HDD recovery, NTFS As Primary, set as hidden.
    I am looking at all these things and totally scared to death to do anything with it......LOL. I have messed with alll Windows Partitions, but never Windows 7....... To me I am clueless on this... but this is teaching me as well.

20. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

I decided to run the Partition Recovery Wizard Scan. So far it has been at 24% for the past half hour or longer, but the sectors are still scanning...(it didn't freeze)
    Out of the first 24% this is what I have: (I left out the Used and size and sectors area)

NTFS System Existing
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS My C: drive Existing
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS Boot Lost/Deleted
    NTFS HDD Recovery Existing

21. sach2

I don't think you want to do anything from partition recovery in Partition Wizard.

I think we should concentrate on your repair CD. You should get that message about hit any key even using F12. How did you create the CD? Was it an ISO you downloaded or was it created in Win7 using a command? It still sounds to me that you are booting into your regular Windows installation even hitting F12. The screens are identical with or without the CD correct?

22. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

I have to take the computer back now..... I am at 45%.... I set my android to get the messages from here.... I will check periodically since I have to go by the window closest to my sons house.....! THANNK YOU SOOOO MUCH

23. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

Well I just wanted to update you on what is happened. I am typing you from my computer......(yeah)! But not yeah! I want to make this quick because I am only protected by my firewall.. I finished the scan on the above stuff. I didn't know what to do at that time, because as I said before I never worked with windows 7 INTERALLY before. I never had to do anything but system restore. After many times of messing with the options in the wizard I had tried to reboot my system, and it wouldn't boot at all. I messed with other settings and tried again to get intot he recovery. It then went, but then is stopped to shut down after telling me There was no partition ID.
    Finally I took a chance......(I guess I didn't care at this point because my boyfriend said he would by me a new laptop) I took the C: partition and the System partition because both had a ton of errors... and lost boots. I formatted both. All I leave was the HDD Hidden Recovery one. I then rebuild MBR.... etc., and done a few scans. Once I did all that even though I am still not sure if I did right..... I booted to the C: prompt and did your scans and they came out fine. Then I recovered my out of the box windows.... this time I like it because I don't have a windows.old file.

I want to thank you because with out the link to the partition wizard and the iso image link I would not have done that. Now my system is running nice, except I went to my avast account FIVE times. I have downloaded it as Save twice, and I have did RUN three times. It tells me its going into my download folder. When it is finiahed it doesn't ask me to open, or continue, it just beeps and goes away, and my files are not in the folders. I tried to download to my DVD that I have running as a USB thumb drive, and as it ran the motions of downloading, again, it was not there...... My computer is not saving anything........ Now I am stuck? Were you right the first time...? BAD HD????

24. sach2

I'm not sure the HD was bad, I think it may have been a corrupted partition entry in the partition table. I'm glad you were able to do the recovery (I thought that recovery partition was the corrupted partition but it looks like I was wrong.)

I'm guessing you are using IE since you just did a factory reload. Try clicking on the "cog" at the top far right of IE to open settings and choose View Downloads. Do you see your Avast downloads. Does clicking one try to run it?

25. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

I still can't get my IE to download and show any downloaded files. My computer updated most of the night while I was sleeping, however, I do not know how..... maybe it didn't update files online (it couldn't have). After it actually booted, I needed to sleep so I did not input my sons WIFI password in so it couldn't go on line without protection. Today it is running nice. I learned that once I update everything including IE to 9 is when I start freezing and shutting down. Last time I got the BLUE screen, before my son took system. I set my updates for me to decide what I want, and therefore I installed CHROME. After I installed CHROME it allowed me to download anything I wanted to. I am finally protected, and ready for a serious break. I got it where I have the things I wanted..... I cleared all my restore points, I need to reboot as well, and create another. Everything seems to be working well to this point. Just tired of sitting at this desk.....lol

26. AlwaysEnuff

AlwaysEnuff Private E-2

I just wanted to update you on whats going on. I literally lost use of my pc, and stuck in on the closet shelf since the last post. I had gotten the computer to run fabulous, reboot, over and over.... plus no issues on the internet. Again, just as the last time, I allowd the computer to update everything, and I chose ONLY critical updates . It still was almost 200 updates. I let this happen overnight. Morning, I had no computer. After all the updates, it was fine until I shut it off. This is when I tried last resort and wiped ALL partitions, and formatted everything clean. I went to reinstall windows (clean) and it told me to choose another HDD that the one that I was installing onto is bad. It said it was inevitable for a crash.!!! LOL. I gave up. I just bought a new HD same size as the one I have. It took about 10 minutes to put it in, and I had a fresh win7 copy that was more up to date. I got the system running, and updates into it. but I am going to have to pay $30 for Toshiba to send me the recovery discs that has all the software and drivers with it. (I downloaded most of the drivers from their sight.) but I am without my MS office, and works, etc., and to me this is a bummer! I want to thank you for everything that you tried to help me with. I appreciate it very much. I have to work on getting my own internet connection now, because my daughter n laws system has been crashing next door. Mine hasn't crashed like it did since I WIFI to my son. His router is usually hooked to his Xbox Live, and I do not know ANYTHING about this..... but our crashes seem too coincidental.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds