Toshiba Satellite unable to start up

Discussion in 'Software' started by tejmar, Sep 3, 2010.

1. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

Hi All,

I have searched the posts and googled for ideas but am not coming up with any clears answers that are relative to my issue.

For some weeks now my laptop has been performing very slow and freezes when using quite frequently causing me to have to manually shut the unit off by holding the power button on for 10 seconds.

This ultimately led me to restoring my unit back to out of the box condition using the recovery partition. Over the next few days I updated windows, drivers, etc.

I did notice a very slight improvement in performance, however it still "felt" hot, and then froze again. I manually restarted and was given two options:

Windows startup repair (recommended)
    Start windows normally

I selected the repair option only to get a message telling me that windows was unable to repair startup. The diagnosis and repair details gave me a root cause of:
    A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.
    Repair action: System files integrity check and repair.
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken: 529733 ms

I then went into system recovery options and selected windows memory diagnostics tool and selected restart now and check for problems.
    Laptop restarted and began testing. Once testing was completed the unit attempted to restart but got hung up on a black screen with only the mouse cursor visible.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. vanlong441

vanlong441 Private E-2

Hi, i'm no one, but I have a laptop. Possibilities:
    1/ Overheated after long hours running. Google "SpeedFan" and measure the temp.
    2/ Virus or malware or whatever people call it. Check your trusted-antivirus.
    3/ 2 or more programs conflict with one another. You could be having 2 antiviruses or any 2 background running programs.
    4/ Windows crashed. Try to backup important data, and re-install the Windows or start using a GNU/Linux in replace of Windows--it's clean and no viruses guaranteed.
    Hope this will help.

3. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

Update:

I found the following link http://social.answers.microsoft.com.../thread/2de97db2-34fd-4c1e-af7c-63a9aaa4124d/ and I managed to get into my pc via safe mode and followed these instructions:

(A). Try performing hardware clean boot and check.
    Here’s the procedure to do it:
    1. Go to start and type device manager in the start search field.
    2. Type device manager and select device manager from the programs list.
    3. Right Click on Sound Card, Video Adapter, and Network Adapter one by one and click disable.
    4. Reboot the computer.

If this fixes your problem, enable to hardware devices one at time to find the exact device causing this problem.
    After you found the device that causing the problem you can resolve by installing last driver or replacing the device.

I rebooted and got as far as the windows start up page that has the scrolling green light and it would not load any further. I let it sit for around an hour then had to manually restart. It then went to Windows error recovery screen, with the options of launch start up repair or start windows normally. I tried starting normally but got nowhere, it simply shut down again, restarted by itself and went back to the windows error recovery screen.

I chose startup repair this time, it went through the motions and I restarted. It went to the scrolling screen, shut down and restarted by itself and again took me back to the windows error recovery. I ran the start up repair again and now get the message "startup repair canot repair this computer automatically. I clicked on the drop down arrow to view problem details and got:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 1
    Problem Signature 04: 131074
    Problem Signature 05: CorruptVolume
    Problem Signature 06: CorruptVolume
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 1
    Problem Signature 09: Chkdsk
    Problem Signature 10: 0
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.2561
    Locale ID: 1033

When I closed down the message box, unit restarted and went back to the scrolling start up screen and went no further........

4. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

Hi Vanlong,

Thanks for the tips but I cant get into my unit to do any of the above unfortunately.

5. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

Now I cannot get back into safe mode, when I get to the "F8" screen options and select safe mode, it loads the drivers, gets to driver chkdsk, then restarts and goes back to the windows error recovery screen.

6. vanlong441

vanlong441 Private E-2

OK, so here's what I do when my computer doesn't respond:
    1/ Look at the CPU light (one of the lights on the laptop). If it shines non-stop, it means that the computer has crashed, then nothing to do but restart the system. BUT if it still shines normally, with flashes, try pressing Ctrl Alt Del. It helped me once I used the System restore function in Windows XP and it got stuck on the Welcome screen.
    2/ About the safe mode (F8). Try returning to it tomorrow, and wait till your laptop cool. Personally, I think it was not the windows' fault that you couldn't get into safe mode. Maybe some of your hardware wasn't in good condition (overheat, dirt, or have you ever dropped it?)
    3/ Wait for a professional response here :cool

7. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

I was unable to reinstall my original OS (Vista) due to it being installed on the HDD, so I decided to try and install XP as I had the original discs here at home. This was unsuccesful and I received a message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

As per the instructions:

I tryed restarting and found no difference.
    I am unable to check for viruses.
    I am unable to access the HDD to configure.
    I am unable to access chkdsk /f

So I thought a new HDD is not expensive & I had no data on my old HDD that needed saving and decided to replace the HDD. I installed the new HDD started the unit. The "Toshiba leading Innovation pages appeared, then a black screen with a cursor flashing only appears and will not go any further. I am now starting to fear that my computer may have more serious issues than I originaly thought.

Any suggestions other than sending the unit into a repairer?

8. vanlong441

vanlong441 Private E-2

If it was a blue screen when this message sent to you, it was a RAM's problem. When my computer suffers RAM loss too much from opening many programs at the same time, it has the same issue, too.
    If you can't replace the RAM (maybe it was damaged by heat) by yourself, ask someone who can and measure the price of a RAM plus his/her wage, then ask him/her to return everything has been replaced.
    There are other solutions, too. They are not related to re-installing the windows anyway.
    Gods bless your lap. :(

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A 7B error is not RAM
    0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

You said this in your first post
    I assume that this error code is a Toshiba code. Either check your manual for error code explanations or email Toshiba stating the error code and asking for an explanation and possible steps to repair the system partition or boot volume.

This is for Vista http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922976&sd=RMVP
    If your hard drive is SATA, XP will not install because XP doesn't include SATA drivers. These need to be installed before XP is installed or slipstreamed into the XP install disk. (All of this is way above my pay grade so I can't offer you help on how to load SATA drivers nor slipstream drivers).

10. tejmar

tejmar Private E-2

plodr you are a legend. As soon as I read what you said about XP not being able to load the necessary drivers, I got a copy of Windows 7, booted from CD, and voila, install of OS was succesful and I am now using the laptop to type this message.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou..........:dood

Now my next step is to fit the original HDD back in as a slave and test.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds