Toshiba Satellite w/ no internet access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonyrush, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I'm trying to help a friend get internet access again. Using Windows XP Pro The PC will not get on the internet. Another Laptop in the House gets on the net, so it's not the router. Problem was discovered when trying to use the printer, which is also accessed wireless. No print now or internet. We ran the System Restore, but still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks
    Tony

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Power down the router. It is possible for one or two computers to lose internet connection. When that happens to me, I power down the router. Remove the power brick from the back of the router and wait about 1 minute. When the router powers up, it looks over the devices on the network and assigns IPs to them.

Also if I remember correctly, the switch to turn the wireless chip on and off is on the bottom of a Toshiba. Be sure it is turned on.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

My Toshiba sat has a little switch on the left front of the notebook to turn on the built in wireless

Try Flippity the Switch..............

4. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Agreed with ASUS and plodr ... the most common wireless issue with laptops I find is the switch not being on ... you wouldn't believe how many times a week people come into my shop saying ... the wireless on my laptop isn't working ... I always say ... did you flip the switch? The answer is always .. huh??

So if that's your mistake, don't worry its extremely common :)

If the switch doesn't work, my other question would be do you know if the router has MAC Filtering?

5. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I already checked the possible switch solution. That's on.(that would have been an ID10T problem, but thanks anyway!)

6. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I tried the flipity switch and it is indeed on. But thanks for the suggestion!

7. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I don't know if it has mac address

8. plodr

All NICs and wireless have MAC addresses. In order to discover what it is, it has to be connected to your router (can be a wireless connection). You go into the router setup, something like 192.168.1.1 typed into the browser address box and look at status and DHCP table. It will show you each computer and print server's name and the MAC address.

9. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

If he has MAC filtering enabled he wont be able to connect via wireless ... he'll have to use his other computer this is already connected.

10. plodr

I assumed from his first sentence
    That the computer had been working as well as the printer but now neither work.
    I suspect instead of worrying about a MAC address, he meant, he is not sure if the computer and the printer are getting an IP address from the router.
    Of course, I could be totally wrong; it won't be the first time and I can guarantee that it won't be the last. ;)

11. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Lol fair enough.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds