Toshiba Satellite won't boot/post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KonaDave, Sep 26, 2015.

1. KonaDave

KonaDave Private E-2

I'm trying to re-purpose an old Toshiba satellite laptop for my mom, but there's a problem with it.
    I can plug it in using a 3rd party charger laying around and the battery charges fine but other than that, when i go to power it on, the fans will start up, screen lights up, but no logo. the LED on the DVD drive blinks 4 times and then the fans power off, screen turns off, and the power led goes off.
    i'm quite unsure about this cause it seems to start to post but it doesn't boot into a BIOS. any help would be appreciated.

2. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

When you say it does not boot into a BIOS, are you tapping F2 while it's booting?

If that does not work, holding ESC for 3 seconds usually works, IIRC.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Try removing the laptop's main battery, and holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and see if there's any change. You could also try alternating RAM modules if there are two of them.

If that doesn't work, you will have to locate the CMOS battery and remove it to reset the BIOS.

If that doesn't work, hopefully there is a way to flash the BIOS with some type of bootable media.

Full make, model, OS, and Service Pack please.

4. KonaDave

KonaDave Private E-2

The computer doesen't even stay on for 3 seconds...
    and no not as in f2 bios. i mean as in the logo like dell/hp/etc.

5. the mekanic

You could also try removing the battery, and running solely on the AC adapter.

6. KonaDave

KonaDave Private E-2

It only has one stick of RAM. i tried the battery and 30 sec. power button but nothing there. I'll try the CMOS battery later. as of this reply i just saw these posts now and it's late. Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975. There is no hard drive in it as of now, but by tags, it seems to be Windows 7 supported.
    like i said this came up on my porch just one afternoon and it's been sitting in the closet for a long time.

7. the mekanic

Looked up the specs on that model, and it's very low end. Additionally its DDR2.

I would not be too surprised if it can't be resurrected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds