Toshiba Satellite won't boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by 6th_heaven, Jul 13, 2013.

1. 6th_heaven

6th_heaven Private E-2

Please save my sanity! :cry

My son has a toshiba satellite laptop running Windows 7. He has had it only 2 weeks (he bought it off my daughter) and it was working well. It got shutdown overnight and when he tried to boot up the next morning it came up with
    "Launch startup repair".
    The computer checks system and says "it can't repair computer automatically".
    Anyway long story short I have tried system restore but it could not restore to an earlier time. I can still get to command prompt though.
    I know he has downloaded lots of games etc. He doesn't have a recovery disk. Is there anything we can try before we try the toshiba recovery wizard?
    I'm not worried about him loosing his downloads, just windows office etc.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hello 6th_heaven, have you tried booting into safe mode ??

3. 6th_heaven

6th_heaven Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Nick T. When I tried to start it in safe mode I ended up with a black screen and a white mouse pointer. The mouse pointer moved but nothing else happened. I had to plug in a USB mouse as the mouse on the computer stopped responding when the computer wouldn't boot up.

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

5. 6th_heaven

6th_heaven Private E-2

I can get to command prompt. I tried the 3rd option and when I booted up it loaded the windows drivers then said starting in safe mode minimal but I am now back at the black screen with a white mouse pointer.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

6th_heaven, if you can get to the recovery wizard, you should be able to choose a Restore or Repair.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds