toshiba sattelite laptop dropped - now display is off Help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by topshelf1227, Aug 18, 2012.

1. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

my laptop dropped from about 2 feet. It was on, and when it dropped it closed. I opened it up and all the lights in the front indicating battery connected, hard drive running, etc were on, but no display was coming up. After waiting about 20 seconds, I pressedc and held the power button to shut down. Upon restarting, the computer seems to start and run fine, but the display is off The screen is a pale blue (kind of aqua) where it should be white. All other display seems fine. I plugged my desktop monitor into the laptop to see if the issue was the video card, and the display is FINE on my 19in. desktop screen. I unplugged the battery and held the power button in for 10 seconds with the power cord out and put the battery back and restarted it and it's still giving me this problem. Can someone lead me in the right direction? I'd hate to bring it somewhere to get it fixed and I'd hate to have to buy a new laptop.

Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4056. Running Windows 7 home.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since the video display works when connected to an external monitor, it's likely something in the screen assembly was damaged when dropped.

Unfortunately (unless it's just a loose internal video cable, which is unlikely), the screen will need to be replaced.

Get estimates from reputable local PC repair shops; the total parts and labor should run in the $200-$250 range. Avoid chain stores such as Best Buy or Office Depot; their repair rates are usually much higher. The local shop should offer at least a 30 day (preferably 90 day) warranty on the new screen.

Unless you have experience taking apart and repairing notebook PCs, this is a relatively tricky repair best left to a professional.

Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds