toshiba tecra 9100 shuts down when removing ac power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sradwxi, Mar 18, 2007.

1. sradwxi

sradwxi Private First Class

hi, i have a toahiba tecra 9100 laptop, it runs perfectly when its connected to ac power but when i unplug the ac power and try to use the laptop it gets a blue screen
    the blue screen doesnt actually appear till i try to use the built in mouse or the any of the keys after the power is disconnected
    thanx carl

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It sounds to me like a problem with the power management software. Visit the toshiba web site and download and re-install the power management software/driver.

3. sradwxi

ok ill check that out and let you know
    cheers carl

4. consignme6259

consignme6259 Private E-2

I too have a Toshiba Tecra and my screen goes black when I am using or is just idle. What's causing this? After pressing the small button sometimes it stays on other times it just goes black. Getting frustrated with this. Anyone have any solutions?

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Try turning it off, and try to boot off the battery. The battery could be bad, or as hopperdave said, it could be a power management issue. Has it always done this or did it just start, and how old is/are the computer(s)?

I misread the posts, sorry. The battery is still suspect in my opinion, but I think hopperdave is on the right track. I did a little looking around and there were some battery recalls recently on Toshiba laptop batteries. Look into that also.

E

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  6. consignme6259

consignme6259 Private E-2

I got this laptop about a yr ago. I did purchase it used from a repair store about a year ago but the problem just started about a month ago. I will go to the website and download the power drivers. It not, then it is the battery. Thank you. Your help is appreciated.

7. sradwxi

is this message for me fred?
    when i unplug the ac power, the battery is full, ive never had problems with the battery, it lasts 45 mins, which is about average for that laptop
    if i start the laptop now and unplug it, it will run for 45 minutes then die due to no power, however if i touch the keyboard or do anything to it, at any time when its running on battery power, thats when i get the blue screen and it dies
    if i power it up on battery it goes str8 onto blue screen i can probably leave it on blue screen for about an hour which says to me that the battery is ok regarding its ability to hold power
    ive just checked with toshiba and they didnt do a recall for these batteries, or at least they didnt admit to it
    the laptop is about 3 or 4 years old, i bought it 2.5 years ago and it was used then (maybe a year old)
    ive never had any other problems with it, only software related stuff, and the fan,
    just to recap
    if i start it on battery power only it will get the blue screen before windows starts up
    if i start it on ac power it runs fine and will go 24/7
    if i unplug the ac power once running it will run fine as long as i dont try to use it, the battery will discharge at a normal rate and whatever is running will continue to run
    the blue screen only appears when i press a key while its on battery power
    or if i start it on battery only
    thanx carl
    p.s. i should also put here that i bought a new laptop making the toshiba redundant, i never used the toshiba from november to january,
    when i first used it in january this is when i found the fault

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

sradwxi That is to both of you. I was just wanting to eliminate an obvious problem, is the battery good? Looks like the battery is good, and it is an OS problem. With me, the simple and easy stuff used to be the last thing I looked at. At this point I am with hopperdave and think it is a power setting of some type.

Have you looked into the power management software hd mentioned?

E

9. sradwxi

im on the toshiba site now just about to download it, ill update you asap
    cheers carl

10. sradwxi

right i have a few options on drivers
    toshiba mnagement
    power saver
    or management console
    the only one about power is the power saver
    is this the one?
    carl

11. sradwxi

there is one at the top of the driver list called advanced power mamagement, ive just found it but when i try to select it it says this driver no results for this search

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Can you post a link where the drivers are at?

E

13. sradwxi

ive just been back on there, on the toshiba site it gives you the option to select your computer, model, operating system etc, then you search for the drivers based on the options you choose, thats why i couldnt download the advanced power management driver, so i went back and changed the operating system to 'all' and searched, sure enough advanced power management came up so ive downloaded it, but..................
    when trying to install it says:

You must install this software on Windows NT 4.0 later.

thats exactly how it was written
    what do i do here?
    thanx carl

14. sradwxi

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  16. sradwxi

no ive not but
    its definately not that, i get a blue screen with an error message, my problem isnt a blank screen or screen going off to save power, i can leave mine on idle all day using windows power management, i have it on 'always on' and turn stuff off set to 'never'
    i can leave it for weeks on ac power and it will stay the same
    its only when trying to use it after removing ac power
    im gonna have another look at power settings anyway now just to make sure
    i might have installed toshiba power saver programme a few weeks ago im not sure, if it is ill check that, but this problem is definately different,
    blue screen kind of problem
    carl

17. sradwxi

that second link u sent me isnt working,
    what driver was it called???????
    ill check it out
    once u navigate away from the page it loses its link, if i send a link to a driver to you, you will just get the main driver download page, the same link i sent u above
    try it, click the link u sent me ;)
    toshiba like to make things hard i think
    carl

18. sradwxi

just to update you, ive checked my power settings and they are set to full power/always on,
    when just on battery power they were set to go off after 1 hour, this problem will happen as soon as i try to use the laptop after disconnecting the ac power
    whether it be 10 seconds or 10 minutes

im wondering about that power management error message i got when trying to install,

You must install this software on Windows NT 4.0 later.

carl

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The second link is not working for me either. I am not sure how I got to it. Here is a Fred_G long shot special... http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4300

I am running out of ideas on this. Hopefully hopperdave will stop by. The program I linked is a power management program I use on my Dell laptop. Do not know if it will help, don't think it can hurt anything.

Sorry I could not help more. I will watch this thread to see what the solution is.

E

20. sradwxi

right ill download that and check it out tomorrow, its 03.27 here now and i have one hell of a headache :D
    ill let you know how it goes
    cya soon
    and thanx for your time
    carl

21. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I've been real busy in the software forum ;) Let me review all your posts, and I'll check out the Toshiba website and try to provide some links.
    Sradwxi- you say that the PC runs OK on AC power, and when you unplug the cord and move the mouse or hit a key you get a blue screen error. What is the error message and error number? It's usually STOP 0x12345678 or something similar. Does the PC boot up from just the battery, w/o the AC cord plugged in?

hopperdave2000

22. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

OK- attached is a .txt file containg a bunch of links to various Toshiba drivers: power, console, TBIOS, chipset, etc. Just copy-n-paste the links into your address bar. I hope they help! :)

hopperdave2000

Attached Files:

23. sradwxi

hi it wont boot up from just the battery, same blue screen, the error code is

*** Hardware malfunction NMI: CHANNEL CHECK / IOCHK
    *** THE SYSTEM HAS HALTED ***

if i start it on ac power its fine, if i remove ac power its fine (until i try to use it)
    carl

24. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Are you running Windows XP?

25. sradwxi

yeah win xp pro, sp2, all updates are done etc
    also ive just dopwnloaded them reccomended drivers, i think ive got most of them on there, ive also found the power management one on that site in the text doc, but same as earlier in the thread, it can only be installed on windoes nt 4.0
    doesnt windows nt run behing xp or something, im not clued up on that side of it, i do know in registry and such there is a windows nt folder
    carl

26. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

All the driver links I provided in .txt file above are directly from Toshiba and I used Windows XP as a filter to show only the drivers compatible with Windows XP. Windows XP is kind of like Windows NT on steroids: they're both built on the NT filing system, and many times drivers for WinNT and/or Win2000 will work with Windows XP. Other than trying the drivers, and maybe reading some manuals or help/support docs at Toshiba.com, all I can suggest is maybe replacing the battery. I'm still trying to find the time to thouroughly research the error message you posted earlier; it's strange that it has no error number or STOP 0x000000 type of number....

hopperdave2000

27. sradwxi

i know i wish there was more information on the error
    this power management driver mentioned above it said i have to install on windows nt 4.0 later.
    it didnt say 'windows nt 4.0 or later' meaning later versions
    it was just windows nt4.0 later.
    so does that mean i can still install it on the windows nt4.0 file system while im running xp?
    or is that just wishful thinking?
    ive done the other driver updates, most of them were already installed
    carl

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds