total system crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by lasombrasdreams1121, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lasombrasdreams1121

lasombrasdreams1121 Private E-2

my desktop had a total system crash. It starts up half way, wont' load windows xp properly. I have tried to reinstal my windows that I bought, and windows itself is telling me that the product key that I have used on all 3 of my households computers, is invalid. I don't know what is going on. If anyone has any advice that they could give me please let me know.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Unless it's corporate or OEM ...should only be used on one puter ...however, is it poss. that you are misreading the key (8's look like B's, etc)?

3. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Unless you have made some sort of licensing arrangement with MS.
    1 product key = 1 PC
    Especially now with WGA.
    I suppose if 2 of your PC's never go online you may be alright.
    Bad out.

4. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Great minds again eh Tim.

5. TimW

@Bad_Frogger...you are leaving yourself open for abuse if you start equating your mental abilities to my little 1 yr old pea brain ....the other members will scoff at you ...."would you take advice from a child"? (LOL)

6. lasombrasdreams1121

used same prduct keys, different keys for registering windows. I don't know what to do. It isn't my computer I have this one. But Windows can't help me so I don't know where else to turn

7. TimW

Are you trying a repair install or a complete reformat install? Or trying the recovery console?
    Have you tried safe mode ...shough may be too late for that.

8. lasombrasdreams1121

well I wasn't trying to do anything just trying to start it up. It gets to the welcome screen and won't go any further. I have trying going back to the last usable settings, safe mode, debugging mode everything in F8. I went to the microsoft site and it wanted the product key in order for me to even write an email to them asking for troubleshooting help.

9. TimW

Then you probably need to do a repair install ....here is how:
    Put os cd in drive, boot up, choose boot from cd (if not a choice, you'll have to change your boot order in the bios), choose to install , f8 to agreement, then it will look for previously installed versions ...when it finds the xp version choose "R" for repair ...not new install ...it will look like a new install, but will keep all files and programs ...you will lose any updates, which you can reinstall later ...once done, you should start considering what caused the problem ...so might want to start in the malware section:
    Read and run first - Malware section
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

10. lasombrasdreams1121

is there anything else to try other then that? THe 2 computers that I have that are pretty messed up both when I try anything but instal with a brand new xp disk won't work. I can try it but if it doesn't work is there anything else I can try?

11. TimW

Probably not ....and since you are hesitant to give MS$ the product key for tech assistance, I'm beginning to wonder if your problems arent related to a bootleg xp cd (not making any accusations ...just trying to understand the problem and it's causes).

12. lasombrasdreams1121

no I actually had to hunt down my disk and I put it in three or four times into the site. Twice for chat (first time forgetting to put in the dashes in the key number) then a couple more times for email support. It said that I had either entered in my number the wrong way or typed in an invalid number. So I clicked on the link for where is the product key and it brought me to a page telling me to start the computer go to this and that and properties for this and then somewhere else. I can't do that if I can't turn the computer on. I tried the repair like you suggested, and it booted from my disk, then went to a kind of dos screen after selecting repair. I had no idea what I was supposed to enter for a command, I had never seen that screen before while trying to repair windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds