Totally fed up with (lack of) CrossfireX support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Main Frame, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

So with the new round of games coming out I decided it was time to add another Radeon HD 5770 to my system so I could rock some massively overclocked dual GPU goodness.

Well think again! After screwing with this system for about four weeks I have determined that CrossfireX is bogus and I should have just attempted to sell my original 5770 and buy a better single card.

I'm currently on a clean (SUPER CLEAN) install of amd_catalyst_11.5b_hotfix_8.85.6rc5_win7_may25 drivers and using the latest amd_catalyst_11.5_cap3_may26_110525 application profiles. Windows 7 Ultimate x64, everything up to date. MSI Afterburner used for overclocking profiles.. etc.

The new games I was wanting to max for their splendid eye candy:

Crysis 2 - will run in Crossfire mode with little scaling evident, although if any AA is enabled there are all kinds of screwy visual defects going on. So in the end it runs better with Crossfire disabled and graphic options set to medium.

Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed - This game will run fine with Crossfire enabled, however only GPU #2 is being used, so 0% scaling. Upon further investigation the use of both GPUs was disabled via ATI's application profiles shortly after the game was released due to major problems with it.

Total War Shogun 2 - Now this game is one that is supposed to scale well when running in Crossfire mode. WRONG, because upon launch the entire system will freeze as soon as the intro movie starts. Disable Crossfire in CCC and the game runs flawlessly, albeit slow with only medium graphics settings.

The Witcher 2 - Once again, this game simply refuses to play with Crossfire enabled. Runs fine on one card with medium graphics settings, enable both cards and the system freezes.

Dirt 3 - I haven't actually got this one up and running yet because I've spent so much time screwing around trying to get the other games to work.

Dragon Age 2 - haven't got around to trying this with Crossfire either, max settings on a single card were too slow

Dragon Age - played fine with max settings on one card, haven't tried Crossfire

Civilization V - played fine with max settings on one card, haven't tried Crossfire

Starcraft II - played fine with max settings on one card, haven't tried Crossfire

Mass Effect 2 - played fine with max settings on one card, haven't tried Crossfire

I forget what else.. the only thing I've seen decent scaling with has been 3DMark11, although it causes the system to hang at the end of the physics test, so I can't get a score out of it anyways.

So, yea.. I'm pissed. All I can say about Crossfire is complete and utter FAIL! I realize that these are new games, and ATI is scrambling to get new drivers and application profiles out to fix these issues, but every hot fix and new profile that supposedly address the specific problem I'm having does not fix the problem.

2. Main Frame

Main Frame Corporal

Bump for my frustration..

Is anyone actually getting good results with CrossfireX, or SLI for that matter?

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Thanks for the warning. Now I'm glad I went with a single 6970 instead of trying to double up and crossfire.
    I would be emailing/calling the manufacturer of your cards until the cows came home.
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease .

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Question: What about SLI? Since Crossfire didn't work?

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Can't sli with ati cards, sli is the nvidia implementation. Crossfire is the ati one.

6. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Ahhh I see Thank you for the explanation

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds