touchpad acer 5738 windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by anniebiscuts, Mar 21, 2010.

1. anniebiscuts

anniebiscuts Private E-2

Help! The touchpad on my laptop is driving me nuts! It does not respond as it should. When trying to scroll it will often bounce back to its original position consequently not moving at all. At other times it seems to move to a place I haven't asked it to. Frankly its completely erratic! Also when typing the cursor often jumps into a middle of a work causing all sorts of typing nonsense! Ive downloaded the latest drivers from the acer home page and they have made no difference. I cant find where to adjust the touchpad. All I can find is mouse adjusters which dont address my problems. I also dont want to use a mouse - it defeats the point of me having a lap top. I'd be such a happy bunny if some one could shed some life on this for me .......
    thanks....

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have found that sometimes these touchpads can get a buildup of invisible crud and oil/dirt from your fingers that causes all sort of whacky behavior like you've described. With the PC powered off, spray some 409 or Windex or other similar type of cleaner on a dish towel and clean the touchpad. Be firm, but don't press down too hard; use a small circular motion. After the first cleaning, to the same thing again but use plain water on the towel instead of cleaner (this will remove any traces or 'film' that the cleaning spray may have left behind). Make sure it is 100% dry before powering up. If this doesn't help, it could that the touchpad is failing. If the laptop is fairly new, it may be under warranty. If not, touch pad repairs are usually not real cheap (around $125 US), so you might want to consider using a 'mini' mouse designed for laptop use..... good luck!

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'd much rather use a mouse. I have a Logitech V220.. I normally keep my touchpad disabled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds