Touchscreen Not Working On Newly Installed System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mannshands, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mannshands

mannshands Private First Class

Hi,
    Have a HP Pavilion 14-b178sa laptop, a touchscreen model. Came with Win 8. Touchscreen worked. Upgraded to Win 8.1, touchscreen worked. Then I dropped the HDD and busted it. I replaced the HDD and installed Win 8.1 x64(Amazon retail version). Updated all drivers from the HP site. Everything is perfect except the touchscreen doesn't work. No settings for it in Control Panel, see pics. I do have a USB touchscreen controller listed as installed in Device Manager, see pics. On HP site no driver listed for it in Win 8.1 drivers, I did see a driver for Win 8 related to touchscreen functions, but not a HID driver as mentioned in the HP support forum as what is required for touch to work.
    Anyone got an insight into touchscreens? Is it just a setting I can't find or something trickier?
    Thanks,
    mannshands

Control Panel jpg.jpg
    Control Panel jpg.jpg Device Manager.JPG

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You should have re-installed Win 8 from the HP Recovery DVD (if you have one) then downloaded the drivers from the HP Support site. The Win 8.1 upgrade would keep the installed drivers from Win 8.

3. mannshands

No DVD came with the laptop and since the old HDD is dead I cannot access the recovery partition, so what you suggest was not possible.

4. mannshands

I went to HP site and did all the touchscreen troubleshooting steps I could.
    Tried Hardware Diagnostics for UEFI v 1.6.
    The only options are Memory Test and Hard Drive Check and Language and Exit.
    No way to do touchscreen diagnostic. In Settings/PC Info it says No Pen or Touchscreen Input. ???

5. mannshands

I got a copy of HP laptop OEM Win 8 x64. Installed it and installed all the drivers from the HP site for this model. I now have "Pen and Touch" in the Control Panel.
    On System page it shows Pen and Touch=Full Windows touch support with 10 touch points.
    But I still can't get the touchscreen to respond to touch.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you drop the HDD or the laptop?
    If you dropped the laptop and busted the HDD, then I'm betting the touchscreen is also busted.

7. mannshands

As I said, I "dropped hdd", not the laptop.

8. mdonah

Did you try going to Windows Mobility Center in Control Panel and turn on touchscreen functions from there?

9. mannshands

Hi,
    There is no touchscreen setting in Windows Mobility Center. It looks like there should be 8 boxes with settings in there and I only have 6.

10. mdonah

Unfortunately, I don't have a touchscreen laptop so, I don't know where to go from here.

11. mannshands

Touch does not work with Ubuntu Live dvd. I am satisfied the screen is broken. Please close this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds