Tower Juice But Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahvhm, Sep 17, 2007.

1. sarahvhm

sarahvhm Private E-2

Hello,
    I actually started this thread in another forum regarding a different issue. I'm having a problem getting my tower to turn on. When I plug it in, there is a green light on the back that lights up but the front stays dark and will not power on. This is an HP Pavillion tower. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sara ....do you have access to another computer that you could "steal" the power supply from to test?

3. sarahvhm

sarahvhm Private E-2

I do but how would I do that?

4. sarahvhm

sarahvhm Private E-2

Just letting you know that my co-worker was able to "borrow" the supply from another computer. It IS the power source. Turns out I need a new one so I'll get one tomorrow and he will install it for me. Thanks for your help!

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It's not that difficult.
    Unplug both!! Open both cases ...you will see three/four screws at the back of the case that holds the ps in place...also find each line that is going to the motherboard, hard drive(s), cd/dvd drives, etc. and unplug them (you may wish to label but they are interchangeable except for the main motherboard one.)
    Swap them (the ps's) and reattach in the reverse ...You really only need the motherboard and the hard drive powered for this test.
    See if it boots up.

Oh...posted over each other ...LOL ....that's good.
    If you are back up with the new ps...then we can resume in the malware section.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds