Tower Sounds Like a Helicopter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ch33zm0, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ch33zm0

ch33zm0 Private E-2

Hey folks. As the subject of the post says, my tower sounds like a helicopter when during initial start-up. At no other time does it make any strange noises, and is otherwise quite quiet. Is this a fan problem, or maybe power supply. Please don't say that this is what my new hard drive sounds like!! Thanks

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK I won't

First check for a cd still in the drive.
    Then open the pc up and look to see if there is any obvious object like a stry lead or tag catching on the fans. Or perhaps one of the fans is clogged with rubbish.
    With a moderate ear you should be able localise the source of the noise, unless your pc actually takes off for OZ.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I agree with studiot. The most likely cause is a cooling fan that's about to shuffle off this mortal coil. ;)

4. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

If this happens only on start-up, that is pretty typical for a cpu fan to spin at max speed (especially with the BTX style boards). You probably have a fan that has a bearing that's off. Solution: Replace the fan.

5. ch33zm0

ch33zm0 Private E-2

That's kinda what I figured, but I wanted to hear it from someone else before I ran out and bought a new one. I cleaned all the crap out of it, and it still sounds the same, so off to the store i go!! Thanks for the input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds