Trace File

Discussion in 'Software' started by cathyt, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cathyt

cathyt Private E-2

:confusedHey Guys,

First time threader, hope you can help.
    I have run a few A-Squared scans and each time it has picked up

Trace File.RosioSoft Audio Tools

When I delete this, it completely removes Windows Media Player from my side. I have then gone to my daughters side and copied Media Player back over, but it comes up with the same result when I run the next scan. If I run scan on daughters side it also find it only on my side.

I have tried to find out some info about this trace file, but have been unable to find anything about it.

At first A-Squared was the only scan picking it up, but now Spyware Terminator is now also detecting it.

:majorDoes anyone have any idea how to get rid of it and any ideas how it got on my system??

Hope you can help.

Kath

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm assuming you misspelled the file, and that it is actually Roxio with an X. If so, then it is part of the Roxio burning software that is probably installed on your PC, or it's part of some type of mutlimedia thing that is tied into Roxio. You can try completely uninstalling Roxio (esp. if you don't use it). If you do use it, after uninstalling it, re-install it.

EDIT- I just did some research, and it appears that you did spell it right and that it is known adware and is responsible for pop ups (and pop unders). Go to C:\Program Files (or Add/Remove Programs) and look for Rosoft Free or maybe Rosoft Audio Tools or just Rosoft. If it has a folder in C:\Program Files, open the folder and there should be a file named unins000.exe which is the uninstaller; run it. If you see Rosoft listed in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall it. Here's a link from Spyware Terminator that lists the various places on your hard drive and in your registry where this Rosoft may be, so you can manually remove it if needed. What you can do is let A-Squared and/or Spyware Terminator remove it, and if Windows Media Player goes with it, instead of installing from another user account (where it may be infected), install a new clean version. You can download it from Microsoft, or right here, from Major Geeks.
    Here's the Spyware Terminator link http://www.spywareterminator.com/item/3977/RosioSoft-Audio-Tools.html
    Here's Windows Media Player 10 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_Media_Player_d4340.html
    and here's Windows Media Player 11 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_Media_Player_d5090.html
    Run several full scans with your favorite antivirus/antispyware apps (SUPER Antispyware and MalwareBytes are excellent, as is A-Squared and Spyware Terminator), then if you notice the WMP isn't right, download it from one of the links above and re-install it clean. Check the AntiSpyware section here at MajorGeeks for SUPERAntispyware and MalwareBytes.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds