Tracking file changes and backing out of accidental overwrites

Discussion in 'Software' started by shmerful, Feb 21, 2015.

1. shmerful

shmerful Private E-2

I need the ability to track changes in two ways.
    1. Files moving hither and yon.
    2. Tracked changes in Word docs that can be reversed incrementally.

I'm in an unusual situation. My SO has cognitive deficits due to recent brain shenanigans and it's ****ing with his ability to write. Several times, he's overwritten the wrong file and lost his work. If there is software that can essentially rewind changes in a doc/rtf/docx that would be super. I've used version trackers at the corporate level but I'm hoping to get something simpler for this.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Some versions of Windows have something called shadow storage through which you can find earlier versions of files. What version are you using?

EDIT - I'll add this link before I'm out of edit time. Hope it's useful

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342534,00.asp

3. shmerful

shmerful Private E-2

Sadly this is on Vista. It's what I had laying around when the mac died and what SO knows how to use.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The link Earthling posted is also for Vista. :)

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Shadow copy is very useful, especially for a temp backup situation.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just checked MSO Word 2007. You can track changes. Click the Review tab, in the centre you'll see Tracking.

Unfortunately, I can't provide instructions - I have not used this feature.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds