Trading in desktop for laptop, need component advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Desidarius, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Desidarius

Desidarius Private E-2

So I have a nice desktop, but I keep wanting the portability/freedom that comes with a laptop. What I want is a capable laptop that I can still play games on. Some may call me crazy for doing this, since I have an Alienware desktop that is still high performance even to today's standard; but I simply would like to have a laptop for easy portability when traveling and between my stays at college and home. There is a PC shop near me (I know the owner) that should be able to build me a laptop (you can have laptops built for you right?). I would sell him mine and hopefully use what it's worth to get the best laptop for that value. What I'm not sure on is the components for it. I've seen plenty of write-ups on building desktops, but laptops are something different. At first I looked at Alienware's laptops and saw what components they used, but I realized I don't know enough about computers to really determine the right components. What I really need help on is finding a good motherboard, processor, soundcard, and video card. I already know I want at least a gig of RAM and the rest is personal preference (hard drive, OS etc.). Now the biggest question I have is how do I choose the actual computer (laptop)? Do companies just make blank empty shells w/ monitor and keyboards? If so, that is a big component and probably the most important. I know I want a widescreen display with good quality video.

So if anyone can make suggestions or point me in the right direction to figure out what I want that would be helpful.

2. Desidarius

Desidarius Private E-2

This is what I have now, would it be stupid to trade it in for a laptop of equal (monetary) value?

ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE MOTHERBOARD
    INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 800MHZ FSB
    CORSAIR 1024MB DDR PC3200LL VS
    SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120GB 8MB CACHE SERIAL ATA HD
    PLEXTOR PX-712A 12X DVD±R/W DRIVE - BLACK
    1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE BLACK
    CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2 6.1
    ATI RADEON X800 PRO 256MB
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PRO VER1.3A
    480 WATT POWER SUPPLY

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

You'll never get anywhere near what ya paid for that P4 system

The resale will be low, best bet part it out, chances of trading for decent notebook will be slim to none.
    :eek: Ive seen P3 lappys go for more than what your p4 might get

Good luck

4. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

Ok to start off i'll tell you that an amd turion (i think that how you spell it) or sempron is your best bet on processors. Ram i recomend kingston 256 or 512. a motherboard would be and asus. and for the video card a 256-128 non-shared nvidia would get you by rather well. A compaq is the best com i have ever used for versitility, their parts are compatable with everything, their like the cadalics of HP's. (very compatable with software and hardware, so anyone can work on them, not just the factory like a Dell would require.) If you go for a duo-core processor you'll have heat problems and things like that, those processors would cost you in repairs for overheats, or in a better cooling system. also a P4 usualy sell back pretty good as long as it isn't burnt from overclocking (sound or the look of the processor will tell an expert if you have overclocked any). I have no clue what ASUS is talking about. a 3 ghz should sell back fine as long as it is in good condition.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

socket 478 processors are outdated and you can buy better tech for really cheap. Therefore, he wouldnt get much money for outdated parts especially since there are better things out there for very little. I think i may have just repeated myself...lol A 3ghz p4 sells for about 80 bucks today; now very much at all. My computer is somewhat similar to his and its definitely not worth what i paid for it anymore.

6. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

What ever man. I don't know much about price and frankly i could care less. My speciality is in the performance of the part, not the sell back price.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds