Transfer Files & settings to new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike350, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mike350

mike350 Private E-2

The old HD was starting to generate errors, so I replaced it with a new larger western digital.

Followed the directions (I thought) and transferred the boot partion with the WDC software, then transferered the data to the other partions while the new drive was in the 'slave' position.

When I loaded the new drive into the master position windows wouldn't boot (missing a file (hld.dll or something like that). Tried to repair XP from the setup CD but it wouldn't recognize the copied installation, so it ran setup from scratch.

Is there any way to transfer the original boot drive settings to the new boot drive, a couple of my programs won't run because the registry dosen't know they are there.

The old drive works, its just that it has some write protect errors on the drive in 37 places. The reccommendation was to replace the drive.

I tried puting the drive in an old computer, but it won't boot, the CPU was too slow for XP. I was thinking of using the file transfer wizard.

Should I take another shot at using the WD software?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

have you considered norton ghost? there's probably a way to download a demo of it and use it once for your setup. Norton ghost is basically a utility to clone a hard drive, make a hard drive image, or write/deploy an image. It's mostly a corporate software, but it'll work.

3. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

actually, i remember seeing some norton ghost ads in the sunday ads (for compusa, fry's, etc) and they're typically $10 or free after rebate, so you may just consider doing that.

4. chopinpl

chopinpl Private E-2

Be sure you get the version that supports NTFS, I believe that support starts with version 8. Somone correct me if I'm wrong.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds