Transfer of Files and Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by abri, Aug 10, 2006.

1. abri

abri MajorGeek

An icon named "transfer of files and settings" showed up in the list that appears when I hit the start button. Is there any peculiar reason why it might be there and can I just delete it? When I looked at its location, it is located in
    C:\Documents&Settings\UserName\StartMenu\Programme

When I looked in that particular Start Menu, there are a whole lot of things. Can I get them out of the Start-up by simply taking them out of this menu? When I look at the start menu under MS Config, there are only 6 items, whereas in the start menu under documents & settings there are 11 folders with subfolders and remote support is listed although it is turned off at the control panel\system\security tab.

Thanks.
    abri

2. erikske

erikske Sergeant

This area of the start menu contains the programs you use the most. If you install a fresh copy of XP, it will list the default items such as the tour and the Transfer files and settings wizard. This is completely normal and it should disappear as you use the computer. If you want it to be gone right now, right click on it and select 'Remove from this list'.

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

Erikske,
    Thanks so much. Since I hadn't used it that I know of, I wondered why it might have appeared there. Your information is helpful.
    Abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds