Transfer selected programs and files from DVD backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by rcimi, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rcimi

rcimi Private E-2

My original hard drive died, but prior to that I did a complete sytem backp on DVD's using the basic Nero, not full version. I installed a new hard drive and reloaded the oringinal W XP Pro system with a new product code and orther programs. All's fine. Now, I have no pre-failure programs and files. I would like to find and transfer a few programs and their files , like tax files, from the DVD's, but not the operating system and other stuff. How do I do it? I'm a real novice and need lots of detail. Also, can I load the DVD's onto another blank hard drive?, internal or external? Will it cause a conflict? If I can, how?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Do you have the installation files for your missing programs on disc? You cannot transfer the installed programs without the installation files to set them up on the new machine. You would have to consult with the developer of each program to see how to transfer their data files, although many simply create folders in the My Documents folder, making it easy to transfer the information.

As for putting the DVDs onto another hard drive, am I correct in the assumption that you have imaged your old hard drive? You can do this if the drive is set as slave. This will prevent the system from loading the operating system on the discs. This way, you can browse all the files contained the the discs.

3. rcimi

rcimi Private E-2

Thanks. Please explain "image?" I have all original program disks. When I did the sytem backup, I guessed it copied all programs and files. Are you also saying that I can load the DVD's onto a new formated drive?

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

An image is a low-level, bit-by-bit copy of a disk or partition. (kind of like a mirror image) Many people use programs like Norton Ghost, or Acronis True Image to backup their system, so that it con be restored to a completely setup state easily. This saves alot of time over formatting, installing windows, getting drivers and updates, and installing all your programs.

My guess would be that you haven't done this. I'm familiar with Nero, but not the function you describe.

Either way, yes, you should be able to put the discs onto a blank hard drive, and connect it to your system. To do so, please do the following:

1. Configure the hard drive as a slave. (There will be a diagram or label on the hard drive showing you how)
    2. Install the hard drive in your computer. (This takes 1 data cable and 1 power cable.)
    3. Power on the system. You should now have an extra hard drive (typically with drive letter D-F)
    4. Copy the files on the DVDs to this new drive.

5. rcimi

rcimi Private E-2

Many thanks, I'll try the new drive approach. From what you said, I did not "image" the old drive. I assume i will have to format the new drive into the NTFS mode?

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You don't have to per se, but I would recommend it over the FAT file system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds