Transfer Thunderbird to another drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeepdriver, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Private E-2

2 harddrives on one comp. One is XP the other is Win 7 Ult. Used Windows easy transfer to move docs and settings from XP to Win7. Did not see the option to transfer Mozilla Thunderbird. Would like to move it intact with all my folders and emails. :confused

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You will have to reinstall Thunderbird in Win 7 as you can't simply transfer programs. You can copy your Thunderbird folders to Win 7 and access them by typing thunderbird.exe -P in a command window and navigating to wherever you placed the folders.

A better solution though is to locate the folders in a place that both systems can access. Then you will only have the one set of folders.

3. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Private E-2

I remember when I built the machine I'm currently using, I installed XP and and used the files and settings transfer wizard to transfer everything from my old comp to the new one. It transferred my email and most of my programs. I was just digging a little deeper into the Win7 easy transfer and found that when you click on advanced, a lot of items are not set up to be transferred by default. I wish I had seen this during the original transfer.

4. Earthling

Your memory is letting you down I'm afraid. Windows Easy Transfer cannot transfer programs, only data. All programs have to be reinstalled in the new comp.

5. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Private E-2

Yeah, you are right on the progs. I guess my brain is still fuzzy from too much chemotherapy,(that's what I'm blaming it on anyway). I'm pretty sure though, that my email transferred, (address book, personal folders, etc.), when I ran the wizard in XP. I used the default settings for the Win7 Easy Transfer, and found out later that if you want to transfer your email settings, you have to go advanced and check the box. I'll pay more attention next time

6. Earthling

There's nothing stopping you from running the tranfer wizard again. But why do you need it at all? Are you physically disconnecting one of the drives on each boot?

7. jeepdriver

jeepdriver Private E-2

Both drives stay connected all the time. Just trying to make Win 7 familiar. I can access the XP drive at anytime. Now that I know that I can use the advanced option on the easy transfer, I can pick and choose items to transfer.
    I thank you for your help.

8. Earthling

OK, coming back to Thunderbird, you can set the Win 7 Tbird to point to the existing mail folders on the XP drive using the command I gave earlier. Two lots of email folders ain't a good idea ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds