Transfering data from Desktop to Laptop - help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cameron99999, Nov 25, 2009.

1. cameron99999

cameron99999 Private E-2

HI

I have a new Laptop running windows 7 and and desktop running XP both 64 bit. Ive managed to set up a wireless network, both connect to the internet via my router and both can access each others shared files. (that should have been the hard part).

The problem is i need to transfer about 100gb of data from the desktop to the laptop and to do it wirelessly over my network will take ages.

Ive got a network cable and have connected the two together. Now my problem is how do i get the laptop to see the desktop via the cable and not via the wireless connection so that i can transfer the data quickly.

Im sure im missing something simply but have been banging my head against a brick wall for a fe hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Cameron

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

When you say you connected them together, did you just connect one computer to the other, or are you going through your router?

be easier to connect both to your router. you would do it the same way with the wired connection as you would wireless.

3. matheu

matheu Private E-2

Cameron99999,
    I think you need to share the 100 gigs of info you want to copy. After you share it, it should pop up in the network window.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If you are trying to connect the two machine together via the ethernet ports on each machine you will need a cross-over cable. The straight through cable will not work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds