Transfering from "Thumb" Drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Dec 23, 2009.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Forgive. I'm lost yet again.

I have this "thing". My understanding is that it's a "thumb" drive (which I reckon is pretty much the same thing as a small Flash drive?).

I have managed to transfer music onto it from one PC. I have also managed (I think?) to then get it transfered onto another (2nd) PC. I would now like to burn it onto a CD, but am having trouble.

It is in a file or folder (??) on the 2nd PC labeled "F" (which became that way I suppose as that was the USB socket (port?) that I plugged it into (?).

Can anyone possible explain to me how I might be able to get it dragged into a playlist, so as to burn it onto a CD? Every time I attempt to do that (as I have successfully been able to do with other music on this PC), I get a message something to the effect that; 'Media Player can't find it, and that it may have been moved, deleted or renamed'.

I simply don't understand this stuff (??).

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Try right click "Send To C:" then try from the C drive.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you, I will try that...

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well thanks again, but that didn't work. "C" is not one of the right-click options that I have...and none of the others seem appropriate (at least not to me - but then that's not saying much...).

I thought I had "figured-out" that I had to "Sync" the music to this portable device, first, and did so (I suppose??), but when I get to the other PC, I just can't seem to make it work. Though it seemed to "transfer" (at one point?) onto the 2nd PC, it comes-up as an "error" upon trying to get it (burn it) onto a CD (and saying that it "may" have been 'moved, renamed or deleted').

Many (all?) of you may find this hard to believe, but my first experience with "burning" anything has just come in the last few weeks. I have learned that first I had to "Rip" music (from CD's), before I could burn them. Now, apparently, I will need to learn how to "Sync" stuff too? Complicated...

Could it be that because I have selected "Refresh the Device" that I am "losing" (deleting) the music?

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Click on My Computer. When you have that page up, go to the top to Tools, drop down to Folder Options.
    Click on view then drop down to "Show Hidden... " and apply.
    Then go to Documents and Settings.
    Open your folder.
    Should now see pale folder named "Send To".
    Open it then right click on an open space.
    Select "new shortcut", browse to My Computer" in the dropdown box, click on the + sign and click on C: Click OK and work your way free.
    Then try from your thumbdrive.

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Great thanks - I will try that today....

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well that was/is a "no-go". I received the following error message:

X
    Location is not available
    C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible.
    Access is denied.

I followed your instructions to the letter, and actually, "Show Hidden..." was already activated on some of the user accounts...and I tried the procedure on all of the user accounts on the machine - including Admin.

I think maybe I have turned that PC (running Vista Home) into some sort of nightmare due to my security paranoia.

I have no clue what to try next...?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Can I come at this from a different direction?

What application are you trying to burn these mp3s with? is it Windows Media Player? or another burning app? from your steps posted above its Windows Media Player.

Are these music tracks in mp3 format? if so then great, try this and you can do this from the tracks saved to your USB media or better is to copy then to a folder on your C drive, say a folder called Temp Music tracks.

Then download and install CDburnerXP (works for Vista dispite the name, I use this app for my burning) then all you need to do is to run the app and choose Audio Disk > OK, then using the left menu list navigate to the location of the MP3s and highlight and drag ther tracks to the bottom box (has big text telling you this) then click the Burn icon and it will convert the MP3 tracks to normal CD Audio for playing on any CD player.

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Instructions work on XP.Didn't know you were Vista.

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David, and yes...by all means (and thank you very much hrlow2).

It is Media Player that I am attempting this from.

I'm very sorry to continually come-off as so ignorant, but I am not certain what is meant by; "mp3 format" (?). If I had to guess, I would say "yes"...

I purchased them online - single tracks - "loaded" them (I think?) onto a small portable device (thumb drive?), and would like to transfer them from that device, to another PC.

I will attempt the instructions you have so graciously (as usual) provided. First though (unfortunately for anyone who may be around here), I will need to hook-up/install a router I recently purchased, so that I may get that 2nd PC online again...

Thanks again, but I have a feeling I will become sidetracked with the router install now...

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

No worries and if you're just wanting to transfer them to the other PC off the thumb drive, then just create an new folder on the PC that you wish these MP3s to go on, maybe in Documents you could add a folder called My Music and then just highlight all the music on the thumb drive and right click and copy then paste into the folder on the PC, theoretically shoudl be just that simple, although wish I was there to go through this with you as what seems simple may not be.

Fire off a new thread in Networking if you need assistance with the router Glenn

David

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you sir! ;)

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, the copy/paste trick worked...sort of.

I have it on the PC now, but I used the wrong user account to get it where I wanted it to go. Now, when I go to the other UA (the one with all the other music that I wanted to burn to a CD), it gives me the original message that I was getting (to the effect): 'Windows can't find it - it may have been moved, deleted or renamed'.

It did just sort of 'magically' open-up in Media Player once I did as you instructed (and after I clicked-on some rather "random" [to me] "things"?).

I think I just need to face the fact, after all these years of trying, that I am simply never going to be able to wrap my mind around the technology. I am used-to "physical" things. All this 'virtual-ness' is apparently just not what I am cut-out for.

I simply don't know how you all do it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds