Transferring ATA hardrive to SATA?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larebow, Aug 25, 2007.

1. larebow

larebow Private E-2

How can I transfer my old files from ata to my sata?I thought about buying an external hardrive box and going through the usb port.What say ye.Then I'd also have a 250 gig external drive.Not that i need it though:wave:confused

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Plug one drive has slave and you should be fine i have a ATA and a SATA2 drive in my box and i transfer files from one to anothers with out any problem...

3. larebow

larebow Private E-2

Itll work even though im trying to take ata to sata computer? the cables apear to be different.Im not doubting you im just confused:confused

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sata only motherboards are still very unusual and you have supplied no pc details.

They are unusual because most CD/DVD devices are pata (what you called ata) so most motherboards still have the IDE/ATA sockets.

I think Clark meant set the old hard drive to slave and connect it to a CD cable. However you can also run it as master if you have an unused ide channel.

If the old pc is a laptop and the new a desktop or vice versa you may need an adapter.

Post again with more details.

5. larebow

larebow Private E-2

Sorry about the lack of info its a dell xps 410 sata motherboard

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Looking at the service manual this board is SATA only I'm afraid. So you will also be short of power connectors.

Adapters for both power and data are available but it would be cheaper to buy a separate enclosure as you suggest.

This should just be 'plug and play' for you. Remember to set the drive jumper to MASTER before you install it in the enclosure.

7. larebow

larebow Private E-2

Thanks guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds